Woodbridge High School’s Chinese Honors Society raises interest of the Chinese culture at WMS with an assembly on 12/14/2018

Nancy Riggio

WMS Chinese teacher, Mr.Liu, introduces the assembly to students

On December 14, 2018, the Woodbridge High School Chinese Honor Society made an appearance at WMS to elevate and increase the interest of Chinese culture throughout WMS’s students with an assembly. The assembly was held during second block in the auditorium, and all grade levels were present.

The assembly started with honors society students presenting facts and information about China and its culture. They showed the traditions and values held in a Chinese household, and what they ate and celebrated. There was then a calligraphy quiz where the slide show would depict a Chinese character and a few possible definitions, and the audience would have to guess which definition corresponded with the character.

Quickly after, a few honors society students shared their personal opinion about the Chinese culture and what influenced them to take the class. Then, a traditional Chinese dance was performed with colorful streamers.

After the dance was performed, two students from each grade were called up to the stage to practice the choreography. Unfortunately, the Chinese cultural assembly was cut short before the next dance could be performed due to student behavior.

The president of the Chinese honors society, Evan Chan, said that he had been taking Chinese since seventh grade but has been speaking it since he was six years old. He also said that he enjoyed learning the language because it helped him to “learn more about his roots.”

Olivia Pinkevicz, a student in the Chinese club at WHS, said, “It’s a beautiful culture and language and it is very unappreciated. I hope it interested you guys.”

Chinese is a very interesting language. Pinkevicz said, “I like calligraphy and the customs.”

Nancy Riggio
WHS Chinese honor society students present facts about Chinese history.
Nancy Riggio
WHS Chinese honor society president, Evan Chan, talks about Chinese culture.
Nancy Riggio
Slide from presentation that shows a Chinese character, its possible definition, and a picture that correlates to it.