Where there’s a WARRIOR, there’s a WAY

Amanda Del Monte

FINALLY FRIDAY’S FUNDAY RAFFLE: The prize self hold awesome prizes for lucky student to take home.

Amanda Del Monte, Spring Author

PBSIS has been a huge success in WMS.

Teachers give out little Warrior Way tickets to students who show the Warrior Way (Respect, Responsibility and Integrity) get good grades, are always prepared, do their work/homework, and follow instructions consistently or are helpful in the class.  

Ms. D’Orsi says that the tickets have made a positive impact on students who are learning to “show positive traits and positive behavior”.  The PBSIS tickets also come with great prizes if students win.

Ms. D’Orsi is one of the runners of PBSIS along with Ms. Kupcho, Ms. Barber, Mr. O’conner, Ms. Torrella, Ms. Valente, Ms. Traschetti and Mr. Murphy. They put together all the events of PBSIS like the assemblies, the dances, field day, spirit night and draw tickets every week.

Every Friday during all lunches, Dr. Crowe and another teacher pick two tickets from the grade level bin. The students who win get to pick a prize from the shelf of prizes in front of the lunch room. The prizes that the teacher get to choose from are footballs, basketballs, earbuds, huge bags of chips/candy, fidget spinners and many more.

D’Orsi says that the majority of the students “enjoy getting tickets and winning prizes”. Right before winter break there was an assembly. At the end of the assembly,  PBSIS had some major prizes to give out to lucky students. The prizes contained Amazon gift cards, iTunes gifts cards, Beats headphones and two iPads!

According to D’Orsi there’s going to be some bigger prizes than the iPad to give away at the end of the year!

Not only students win the raffles for PBSIS, the teachers do too. But how teachers win is a little different. The teacher who gave the student that winning ticket wins for the month. The winning teacher for PBSIS for May was Ms. McHale. The prizes teachers get to choose from are T-shirts and gift cards to Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, Walmart and Walgreens. McHale chose Dunkin’ Donuts for her prize.

McHale explained that she likes giving out the tickets because it’s “great motivation” because it keeps students “on track.” She thinks they make the students more “responsible” and that they “think twice” before an action. McHale’s favorite thing about PBSIS is, “It brings us even more together, and sets guidelines that everyone has to follow.   McHale says she was “excited” and “happy” that she won, and “always happy” when her students win.

Ryleigh Mihalics is one winner of the Friday raffles during lunch and she said that she “likes the tickets that the teachers give out”. It makes people want to “be good” and do “good things” to get tickets and earn prizes. Mihalics explains that when teachers give her tickets she is “happy” and she gets the most tickets from Ms Kupcho. “My favorite prize that I saw was a portable phone charger, but my friend took the last one before I got a chance to put my tickets in to try to win it,” Mihalics said. It was my favorite prize because during the summer I always and up going on trips and I use my phone a lot and I rather have something to change my phone with, so it doesn’t die on me.” Mihalics said that when she won during lunch she didn’t know it was her until they said her name again, then she said to herself 46 tickets was all worth it. The prize Mihalics chose was a new headset with a microphone.

The winner of the iPad giveaway for PBSIS was Victoria Hrabkovsky! “I didn’t think that I would win the iPad because there was so many tickets in the bucket, at least a few thousand. I saved up all my tickets and put them in, so I can have a tiny chance of winning. I was surprised that I won.” Hrabkovsky explained.

Hrabkovsky says that she thinks more student were engaged to win tickets and act better because she thinks people were saving their tickets more and trying to behave, because everyone was “excited” and “hyped” for the iPad. “Everyone wanted the iPad but you don’t need to win an iPad to know that you’re good.” Hrabkovsky said.

Hrabkovsky has been using the iPad everyday. She’s been using it to watch YouTube videos, play games and to listen to music. The iPad helps when she’s listen to music on YouTube on her phone and she needs a calculator or to search something up, she’ll use her iPad.

D’Orsi says that PBSIS will continue to run as long as the school will allow.