Awarding WMS volunteers for ‘innovative ideas and following through’

Anginette Ipanaque

WINNERS: Students accept their awards for volunteering.

Grace Terrell and Tracey Freier

On Sunday, April 29, three Woodbridge Middle students, along with many others from different schools, received an award for their volunteerism at the Woodbridge Community Center.

Lorena Gama, Jake Vazquez, and Anginette Ipanaque were recognized for their constant volunteer work. Each NJHS (National Junior Honors Society) member takes a big role in our community, by together volunteering in a variety of events.

Lorena Gama says she volunteers not only because it helps with college and school, but because she has met so many “new and exciting” people, “The Academic Warrior Brigade helped me exceed my hours. I also volunteer for the St. James food drives. I helped young students in sunshine summer in St. James. I also volunteer at the band concerts and chorus concerts.” These events are just the reason why she got such an award.

Angenette Ipanaque finds joy in volunteering, “It makes me feel good at heart when I do something kind, helping others. It makes me feel proud of myself.” She is constantly active in her community, and says she’d love to continue volunteering. “Last year I helped with the relay for life survivor dinner. I counted box tops, cafe night, the thanksgiving dinner,” Ipanaque stated.

Jake Vazquez, President of the Woodbridge Middle School NJHS says, “I always help out at St. James for the food drives and Christmas toy drives. Also, I help out at the summer camp.” His advice for aspiring volunteers is, “Just helping out at local places.”

The event was held at The Woodbridge Community Center where all the students and adults sat in the gym and were presented with their award. “There were people in the front who would talk about each student individually, recognizing them for all of their accomplishments. And then there was a photo section where you take a picture with mayor McCormack,” Gama explained. Each student felt special for all the hard work they accomplished.

Each student says they will continue to volunteer. They also shared their advice on how others can get involved with volunteering. “Just ask around to any teacher, you’re favorite teachers, they’ll let you know what you can do,” Gama said. Ipanaque believes that it is important to get involved with your community, “Be more active in your community, I mean you live here and it’s better to do something good instead of just staying at home and doing nothing.”

Ms. Mchale was the teacher who chose the three students to receive the award. “We are only allowed to nominate one person, but what we did this year was we kind of put them into different categories,” she explained. Mchale said how the three students chosen “take a leadership position and come up with ideas for service for our NJHS and our school.”

Out of all the students that could have been chosen, Anginette, Lorena, and Jake were chosen for “innovative ideas, following through, and not just volunteering to get out of class, but to really make a difference.”