Cheerleaders tryout for cheer squad

WMS cheer coach

CHEER TEAM 2021: Last year’s yearbook photo for the WMS cheer team.

Samantha Malltell, Editor

WMS cheer coaches will host tryouts in the gym at WMS on October 17th to the 19th.

Any WMS students interested in cheerleading should wear a t-shirt and shorts or leggings with sneakers. Sweatpants are okay too, but no jeans. Prospective cheerleaders will learn what you need to know for tryouts together then split into groups with no more than four people to try out with. Students should see Coach Douglas and Coach Liastro for more information.

Coach Douglas commented on the importance of being a member of a team.  She said, “If we are seeing something in tryouts where kids are not working well with a group, I think Mrs. Liastro and myself would pull them aside and tell them that they seem to have a lot of spirit, what can we do to help you work better with others.”

Coach Liastro echoed these sentiments by saying, “If you can’t prove to us that you are going to be a team player then you’re not the right fit for the team.”

For people who worry about being judged by other students there is no need to. When trying out no one will be watching you, but the judges.  Mrs Liastro said “we are a judgment free zone.”

For students that want to know what to expect, Mrs. Liastro said, “We teach new material so we teach cheer and a sideline, but there is a rubric so we are not only looking for knowledge of material but the execution of material, making sure they are stiff motions and that your arms and legs are in the right place.” 

Cheer season ends in early February, but prospective cheerleaders still have events to go to as a team, so after basketball season cheerleaders will still perform at two upcoming pep rallies, and other events to come. 

WMS principal, Dr. Lott, also commented on cheerleader responsibilities explaining that there may be another pep rally on April 7th.  And in order to participate cheerleaders should “be the leaders of the school and academically perform at their best.”

The number one rule of cheer is to have lots of school spirit.  Dr. Lott said, “Nothing is worse than a cheerleader who looks bored at a game.”