The G+T Visual Arts Program leads students to self-discovery

Back to Article
Back to Article

Made by Jada Hidalgo at the G+T Visual Arts Program

Jada Hidalgo, Fall Editor

The G+T Art Program is held at Avenel Middle School and is offered to students starting in 3rd grade to 8th grade. Students who wish to be signed into the program must be recommended and pass a tryout the summer of the year they are trying out for.

The program’s classes are offered almost any day during the week depending on the school you regularly go to. G+T is where you go to learn how to better yourself in the talent you wish. The classes offered at Gifted and Talented are creative writing, visual art, music, theatre arts, enrichment, and Program for Exceptionally Gifted. Students that attend have been recommended by adults and others for their talents.

Madison Rackett, is an 8th grade student at Woodbridge Middle School who attends the Visual Arts class every other Thursday during the A.M. times. She said she has attended the class “Since 3rd grade” and “it’s made [her] more creative”. Giavanna Polak, another 8th grade student at Woodbridge Middle School said she started attending in “4th grade” and “[she has] gotten better and learned the right way to draw things”. Their elementary school teacher seemed to have recognized their talents from a young age.

In the Visual Arts Program these students attend from other schools and join each other in the classroom where they learn types of art or the specific type of art that they are focusing on for the year. The history of art and techniques are also taught. Some of the types of art that the students are taught are sculpting, painting, drawing, and collage making. Riley Mihalics, who joined just this year, said that she enjoys learning how to sculpt in the program.

Some of the students said that they didn’t even want to pursue an art career in the future and they simply found it fun. They liked to “show off” their skills. It shows that people don’t always have to use their talents for the future and can simply participate to have fun and express individuality.

Ms. Mazzeo, the G+T Visual Arts teacher decided that she wanted to teach others the importance of art and art in itself when she was in college. This year, she plans to focus on the sculptor Alberto Giacometti and surrealists for the 7th and 8th grade students. For the elementary school students, she is teaching Vincent Van Gogh. Ms. Mazzeo claims that, “Some things require more than just an index finger and an ‘app’” referencing digital art and art programs such as SketchBook and more professional programs like Procreate.

Many often wonder how the rise of technology is affecting the traditional way of creating art. Well, Ms. Mazzeo says she thinks technology is affecting traditional art “positively and negatively”.

She also claims that “art has millions of directions! That is what’s so great about it” and “I hope to give all the students experiences working in different mediums.”

To apply for G+T Visual Art registration or the other programs they offer, search for G+T Woodbridge, NJ on Google and click the link that leads to the Woodbridge Township School District website. A recommendation form for the programs will be listed at the bottom of the page. When applying, the website will provide a day to take the test.