What Makes A Good Principal/Teacher

Genesis Perez

WHAT MAKES A GOOD PRINCIPAL/TEACHER: Welcome To Middle School

Genesis Perez, Fall Author

Being a principal and a teacher at school more complex than people realize. Not only do teachers have to keep hundreds of students in check, but the principal is also in charge of a staff.

The most effective way Dr. Crow, WMS principal, connects with his students is at lunch, professional periods, after school and before. Being a principal also means facing challenges and confrontations with parents and staff, “I always find a way to be straightforward and hear their concerns. To see that teachers and students are supported and both have what they need.”

Mr Murphy, a 7th and 8th grade language arts teacher, said challenges he went through were changing from a higher skill knowledge that consisted of high school to middle school, “I went to college to study for older skill levels. I realized that I wanted to teach middle school in October.” When working in a school, Mr. Murphy says it’s “not only about the students”, but about the coworkers. Mr. Murphy explained that it is important to establish “professional” relationships.

Ms. Dunn, an 8th grade math teacher, explained how she connects with her students and coworkers, “Being organized and getting everyone involved in something. Being more flexible                                                                                                                                                                                          with things,” she continued, “During my prep I talk to teachers about what I can get from LA to a math class.”

Coach D’orsi said “keeping students interested in what I’m teaching.” How she connects with her students is by their “commonalities and how they’re feeling”. For teachers, “it’s if they teach similar subjects”.

“Finding common interests among students and coworkers” is how Mr Cardoso connects with everyone. He says he became a teacher here at WMS by accident. “When I came out of college I went to the highschool and I ended up being a sub here.”

8th grade student, JD, explained that a good principle consists of someone who’s strict, but not too strict and can have fun. He said “At the same time they understand the students”.

8th grader, Rachael Malltell, said a good teacher and principal would be someone without “attitude.” Maltell went on to explain, “If you give too much homework or get off topic.”

7th grader Ximena Gonzalez said “They have to be intelligent and not too mean and have a good attitude too. They have to know a lot about the school and how to handle it.”Angel Ruiz, a 7th grade student, explained his opinion of a good teacher. Ruiz explained “He has to be ‘lit’ and can’t just sit in class all the time. He has to be funny, but tough and can’t get mad for every single thing.”

6th grader Aaron Riggins wants teachers “to be nice and don’t enforce rules too much.” Riggins explained that he wants teachers to show “determination” in helping students succeed as well as making them comfortable in learning.

7th grade students, Anyla Jenkins and Jada Castro, both clarified that a good teacher would be someone “who makes jokes like Mr Harris and has a nice attitude, but can control a school.”

Mr Cardoso says that “every teacher’s first year is scary because everything is new because even though you get all the college training, to sit in a class is scary.”

Sharisbel Thomas explains that a good principal would consist of not yelling and understanding you if you have a problem. Although with a teacher’s personality, Thomas says “a funny one that’s weird in a way” helps.  Thomas’ expectations of teachers and principals has not changed since she’s gotten here. She says “No, because I kind of knew I was going to be treated differently.”  Thomas is referring to the difference between elementary school and middle school.

Tanaya Thompson and Madison Sulsona both would want a teacher who is “energetic” and “can work well with kids”.

Mison Sulsona says her prediction on coming to WMS has changed. “At first I was really nervous. Now it’s fun.”