• December 21WMS Boys Basketball Plays AMS today at 4:00 in AMS
  • October 16WMS softball team plays Avenel in the playoff game today at WHS, 6:00!
  • October 11WMS softball team plays FMS today at 4:15 at Colonia middle!

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Congratulations Mr. McGuire: the 23/24 teacher of the year.

Destiny Perez
Mr. McGuire shows his gratitude towards being Teacher of the Year.

Mr. McGuire was one out of two teachers selected for teacher of the year this year. McGuire has been the vocal music teacher here at WMS for the past seven years. McGuire said it’s been a slow “burn” but knowing he can inspire others such as teachers, and students encourages him to continue working hard.

McGuire is part of a few bands outside of school as a guitarist and singer. However, he doesn’t usually speak much about it just to keep some separation between his personal life and professional life. Surprisingly, McGuire’s family was not musical whatsoever. McGuire said, “I didn’t come from a musical family. My dad’s an electrician and my mom stayed at home and raised the four of us.” Most of his heroes were musicians and he fell in love with practicing along to records and songs he really liked. He fell in love with the art itself.

When asked about his inspiration for education, he said his former high school teacher, Mrs. Retzko inspired him. McGuire was a C student at one point in high school and said he felt “judged” by his other teachers at first for his grades, but he was able to bring them up. She saw the potential in him and he started doing better in school. He didn’t only do better in music but also in all his classes.

McGuire opened up about his first trip to Greece by himself. He said it was very “exciting” just to see a new country. “I love traveling with my family and with my friends but it was nice getting to do it by myself,” said McGuire. 

If McGuire had any other career other than being a teacher, he could see himself pursuing music as a performer, which he has done for a while. He can also see himself as a barber just because he likes associating with people and customers. He thought being a teacher would be good because it would help him get “closer to his family and loved ones.” But McGuire doesn’t even want to think about having another job other than being a teacher.

When asked about his best decision, he said that it’d be going to county college and saving money so he wouldn’t fall into debt.

Growing up, McGuire did not grow up in Woodbridge and dealt with anxiety and bullying just like a lot of kids. He tries his best to put himself in students’ shoes and make the students feel like they belong when he sees them having a bad day or acting “out of line.” He doesn’t like to yell immediately because he tries to understand what the kid is going through. He said he would then take “appropriate” action depending on the situation.

McGuire’s first year ever teaching was also his first year living alone. He got his first apartment and had to get used to a big adjustment not living with anyone or any roommates. He said he made a lot of mistakes in his first year teaching. “I wish that I had a year between teaching and living all by myself, that would have been nice to ease that transition,” said McGuire. He wished he had worked on “grace and patience” with himself. 

He believes learning how to be independent, taking care of finances and taking on responsibilities are very important. McGuire is grateful for how things turned out for him.

McGuire was asked about how he felt knowing he is teacher of the year. He said it’s a tremendous honor. He’s been working for this for a very long time and knowing staff, students, and administrators recognize his hard work just pushes him to keep going. He said, “This isn’t the finish line, this is just a mile marker. Now I’ve set the bar for myself and I just have to keep going.”

McGuire said it is never too late to start music. He actually hadn’t started playing the bass guitar until he was in seventh grade. He also didn’t start singing until he was in high school. McGuire shared that you shouldn’t feel any kind of way for pursuing music or practicing just because of your friend groups or hobbies and interests. He said, “That doesn’t dictate what you do. There’s always room to try new things at any stage of life.”

Eighth grader, Devanna Valdes, said she’s very “happy” for him because he is a great teacher. She felt inspired each time he supported the class singing and getting pushed to do better. Valdes described McGuire as kind, funny, supportive, and very fun. “He’s a nice teacher but at the same time disciplines us and makes us do better,” says Valdes.

Eighth grader, Zarah Cajacuri, said she is happy and excited for him because he is a good teacher. Cajacuri’s favorite part about being in his class was being able to introduce themselves because it made the class very “welcoming” and “cozy.” She loves how kind, respectful and fun he is. She describes him as “homey.”

Eighth grader, Camila Villegas Cuartas, said she’s very happy hearing about McGuire being selected for teacher of the year because he is inspiring and fun. Villegas Cuartas said she always wanted to do chorus because she was part of that in her old school. She was too scared to join at first but now she is very encouraged by him to do that. Villegas Cuartas says he’s really “fun” and they always learn something new as well as learning new songs. She is overall very happy for him.

McGuire has shown some great inspiration, care, and kindness towards his students and staff which explains this special recognition. McGuire is trying his best and it is amazing how the administration and people surrounding him can recognize and appreciate his hard work and dedication. Knowing what we know about McGuire, we can see how special this is for him and how dedicated he has been throughout the years.