WMS girls basketball team shooting for the stars

WMS GIRLS BASKETBALL REPRESENTING WMS WELL

Julia Milevoi, Fall Editor

The Woodbridge Middle School girls basketball team’s first game is Friday, December 1st. They are led by captains Bailey Timinski, Abigail Rodriguez, and Madison Rackett. And, are coached by Mr. Murphy and Ms. D’orsi.

Madison Rackett, a 7th grader on the team, was named one of the captains. When asked how this felt, she said, “It feels good. It makes my teammates think I’m a good leader, and I’m really happy.” When asked how long she’s been playing, Rackett says, “A while… nevermind actually it’s not really that long. Since about 3rd grade, so 5 years.” Which is still pretty long in my mind, Madison. One of the responsibilities of being a captain are “leading stretches,” Rackett says. Expectations for this year are pretty high all around. Madison says that the team has “a lot of talent,” and that she can see this team going “all the way”

Abigail Rodriguez, an 8th grader, says that being captain is really “fun” because you get to “help out and everyone looks up to you.” Rodriguez says that her team is pretty good and all of the girls have so much talent. It is Abigail’s first year being a captain.

Bailey Timinski, an 8th grade captain, says that the team’s strengths are shooting and defense. Timinski says, “With my teammates height, we can get more rebounds and play good defense”. Timinski says her biggest challenge being captain is correcting people. “I have to correct them, but I don’t really like telling people what to do.” Timinski says. Bailey Timinski says that she thinks the team will be able to go all the way because they have “lots of talent.”

Mr. Murphy, one of the girls basketball coaches, says that he thinks the team’s biggest struggle will be playing at other gyms. “Our gym where we practice is kinda small compared to all the other ones. Conditioning will be tough for the girls.” Murphy adds. Mr. Murphy says that his first year coaching the basketball team for WMS has been “awesome.” Murphy says that he is happy to have Ms. D’orsi as a co-coach. Mr. Murphy says that he is “so hyped.” He tries to get the team to be as excited as he was when he played. Murphy hypes up the team with “a lot of yelling and clapping.”  “I would be a very good wrestling hype man.” Murphy says.

Ms. D’Orsi, another coach on the team who coached last year, says that this season is different from last season because there are different girls, new 7th and 8th graders. “We also have new friendships, which changed the dynamics of the team and we have better communication.” D’Orsi adds. D’Orsi says that this year, she thinks that the biggest rival will be Colonia, “Always colonia, that rivalry is deep rooted. It’s been around since I was in High School, which is over 10 years.” says D’Orsi. Lastly, D’Orsi says that she is hoping to go undefeated and has “big aspirations” for the team this year.