• December 21WMS Boys Basketball Plays AMS today at 4:00 in AMS
  • October 16WMS softball team plays Avenel in the playoff game today at WHS, 6:00!
  • October 11WMS softball team plays FMS today at 4:15 at Colonia middle!

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Isla Caverly, an 8th grader at WMS tells us about her sport: Baton Twirling

Isla+Caverly
Gabriella C.
Isla Caverly

I can predict that not a lot of people will know what baton twirling is. Most people think it is just twirling in circles. Caverly, an advanced baton twirler, tells us what it is like doing an underrated sport. 

What is it you may ask, Caverly states, “It’s like twirling a baton, which is a 30 ish inch stick made of steel with rubber ends and to twirl it you use your wrist and do cool tricks .” How hard is the sport really? “It makes you very prone to injuries, concussions, bruises and breaking things.” Caverly mentions when asked, but the hardest thing is to get over the fear of being injured. Can you imagine having to give up the fear of being injured, I know I can’t give that up.

This year Caverly has about 10 competitions. The most important competition for Caverly is nationals. Caverly’s solo  and two-baton are going this year, which is in Ohio.

It is Caverly’s 9th year twirling! Her favorite routine from all her years of baton twirling is her partner’s routine from last year. Something unique about some of Caverly’s routines is that they don’t have a name.

Maybe the sport is not as relevant as it was before but in the 80’s it used to be a very popular high school sport. But that doesn’t mean you can’t do it now, Caverly suggested if you want to do the sport find a team that is welcoming and don’t be afraid to try new things!