MCR isn’t “Dead!” anymore.

This picture is labeled for reuse via flickr.com under the CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSCE

Ezra Snyder, Fall Editor

Most of us know the iconic emo band from the early 2010’s, My Chemical Romance. All emos have probably listened to them at some point, myself included. You might have also heard about their planned reunion for December 20th. It’s going to take place in the Shrine Expo Hall in Los Angeles. 

My Chemical Romance officially broke up on March 22 of 2013, all of their fans were devastated on that day. It was a day where emos, naturally sad people, got even more sad. There was a theory made by fans in 2010 when the last studio album of MCR came out, predicting that MCR would reunite in 2019. And now I will show you the theory and why it’s true. 

The first track on Danger Days is titled “Na Na Na”. The setting of the music video is Battery City. It’s also a post-apocalyptic setup. It follows the journey of The Killjoys, their gang in the video. In a few frames of the video there is a map that one of the people holds, it reads:

“Map of Battery City & Surrounding Zones

California 2019.” 

Can you see why people predicted the reunion to being in 2019? California also happens to be the place where the reunion show is happening. 

Another part to the theory is that the band would have turned 18 this year. Gerard Way – the lead singer – has said in many interviews and in one of their songs that he’s horrified by teenagers. He might have planned this so he skipped the teen years of the band. 

The final part of the theory is that in an interview a while ago, Gerard Way said that he wanted MCR to follow the same path of The Smashing Pumpkins, a band from the 80’s. The Smashing Pumpkins were together for 12 years, broken up for 6 years, and then get back together after the 6 years of being broken up. 

As you can see, there’s a lot of evidence in this theory that it could be correct. 

There’s also been a theory that they could be going on a world tour after this one show, since they’re already planning to go to the Download Festival in several countries along with other bands. 

Now that we’ve covered the theory of why they were going to do a reunion show, I think it would be best to cover my own theory about what will happen after the reunion show. 

On Instagram, which is how I’ve been following their reunion show updates, they revealed that they will be doing a show with the Thursday Band. “We are crazy excited to have our dear friends @thursdayband as a special guest at the Shrine Show,” says the caption of the post. However, at the bottom of the post announcing it, there are coordinates. Any person just looking at the coordinates would think they would lead to the Shrine Expo where they’re doing the show. But that’s actually wrong. These coordinates – which read 40.4862`N, 74.4518`W – lead to New Brunswick. That’s in New Jersey, the state where Gerard Way grew up. I’m not sure how these coordinates apply to the future, but maybe they will be doing a world tour and this is their next location. 

Feel free to comment your own conspiracy theories if you also have some. 

What do you think of the reunion? 

Some student views on the reunion. 

“I though it was cool because they’ve been gone for so long and a lot of people wanted them back together.” – Karola Ortiz

“I’m pretty happy about it, it’s pretty cool. I’m not too surprised about it though because there was a lot of conspiracies about it being planned.” – Jamie de la Cruz

“I am very excited, but also very scared. I’m scared that they’re going to degrade in their quality of music.” – Gabriella Lugo