Club teams aren’t just stealing bases, they’re stealing high school players

Photo Via https://www.army.mil/article/172174/securing_the_love_of_baseball_for_military_children_living_abroad under The Creative Commons Liscense

Glen Cantalupo, Spring Author

High school baseball has impacted players’ careers, but club baseball has changed the recruiting worldwide within the last ten years. The norm for high school athletes is to stay at home and play with friends; and win states which is these ultimate goal. Club baseball, conversely, suggests athletes can expand their career and play after high school, and then you can play later in life and compete against the best.

The sudden increase of club sports has taken the baseball universe by storm and the entire recruiting process has been changed forever. 87 percent of baseball players compete on club baseball teams today. Mr. Thomsen a middle school baseball coach stated, “Club baseball is just a higher level or better competition.” The organization Perfect Game Baseball is changing the recruiting process by giving a rank of high school baseball players around the world, and a very thought-out ranking of club organizations, and a non-specific ranking on high school teams. For example, Perfect Game host showcases around the world filled with scouts to help continue the game later in life for these young players. Perfect Game Baseball has helped 11,623 MLB Drafted players.

High school baseball has been the goal for generations and that would be the last stage for many kids to play the game they love. It brings a different environment where the town comes and watches and supports the athlete they have been watching since little league show up on the big stage. Kaelyb Barahona, an eighth grader at Woodbridge Middle said, “High School baseball would be more important to me because I have the chance of a scholarship.” The recruiting process has slimmed down since club has started and fewer and fewer scouts continue to show up to high school games. Now, the real question is what is more beneficial for a longer more successful career; club baseball or high school baseball.

Players around the world have to make this choice, high school or club baseball, but why can’t you do a little bit of both? High school coaches prioritize their season, so why don’t you just play club ball in the summer and stick with your high school team in the Spring? Many players don’t realize the easy solution to this problem and think they have to choose one; both of these are beneficial and can help players careers later on while still affording them the opportunity to play with their life-time friends. Ty Koby, an eighth grader at Woodbridge Middle, said when he gets to high school, “I will prioritize both, because they both benefit my career.” In all, if players give an even amount of both they can still have a successful career and could play the game they love for a lot more time.