Unique multilingual students contribute to the cultural tapestry of WMS

Photo via http://maxpixel.freegreatpicture.com/Flags-Country-French-Flag-Sky-France-Blue-Wind-2797516 under the Creative Commons License

People’s nationalities vary, and although there are many people with the same nationality, there are many vernaculars represented in the nation. Regarding this fact, many students speak different languages other than English, especially in WMS.

After our interview, A shocking statistic reveals that in four WMS classes with over 15 students, over sixty percent of students speak other languages, which includes Spanish, Chinese, French, Polish, and even Slovak.  Either the students interviewed had been born knowing to speak the language or the student learned it growing up by teaching themselves.

Nancy Riggio, a seventh grade student that speaks Chinese, said, “I practically taught myself. My mom would talk to her clients in Chinese and I also took classes.”

Another student, Patryk Duda, who speaks Polish, said, “My parents always encourage me to speak it at home.”

It seems that most students speak Spanish. Half of the students interviewed claims to speak Spanish; even teacher, Mr. Eubanks, does. He says, “I speak Spanish every day at work, church, home, and socially. I took classes at school and I travel and go to social and religious environments.”

Adding to his previous statement, Eubanks says, “Two thirds of children in the world speak more than one language. Some children say it’s too difficult.”

We also speak different languages. Victoria speaks Slovak, a language spoken in a small country called Slovakia. Alison speaks Spanish. This language spoken in many different countries and commonly spoken.

The three most spoken languages include Chinese, Spanish, and English. As of 2018, about 1.2 billion people speak Chinese, 437 million people speak Spanish, and 375 million people speak English natively, or are born speaking this language.

It’s a fascinating subject, to speak different languages. We may not notice how special and unique people around us really are.