WMS makes strides against breast cancer

WMS FIGHTS WITH VICTIMS- Woodbridge Middle School staff and students come together for breast cancer awareness

Maggie Mcnee, Fall Editor

On this past Thursday, October 19th and Friday, October 20th, WMS had a breast cancer bake sale and walk against breast cancer in honor of breast cancer awareness.

On Thursday, the 19th the student council held a “pink” bake sale in honor of the fight against breast cancer. Everything was a dollar and money went towards breast cancer. There were cupcakes, brownies, and any sweet (pink) treat imaginable. It was a success overall and $500 was raised.

Then, on the 20th, the WMS Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk took place. During the walk, journalism students Lorena, Scott, Emma and Gianna helped out with making it a blast for the students. They created a photobooth to drive up the hype for the walk and to engage students.

Students had a great time taking picture thanks to the students. Gianna also helped by doing a pink ribbon face paint area to ensure everyone was in the spirit.. According to Ms. Burke and Ms. Dymond, the student council co-advisers and breast cancer awareness program directors, the photobooth was a “very organized” activity and a “huge” success.

Lastly, on Sunday October 22nd there was a breast cancer walk at Johnson Park. 8the grader Grace Terrell, and 6th grader, Elise Gurovich represented WMS at the walk. When asked why they walked, Elise said “I got to dance and my mom’s friend had cancer”. Grace said she walked to contribute to the women in need. All of the students said it was for “an important cause.”

8th grade student Nicole Galicia was helping out with the awareness activities throughout the month. Galicia explained why the month is so important to her, “It is an important issue for me because my grandma died of breast cancer , so if we introduce the effect it has to our school, we can make a difference.” Nicole’s message and enthusiasm is echoed by the volunteerism of WMS.

FUN FOR ALL- Mr. Harris, our vice principal, and Mr. O’Connor, Language Arts teacher at our photo booth