Junior Achievement Center kicking their way into education

Olivia Viggiano

More stories from Olivia Viggiano

STUDYING+THEIR+WAY+INTO+SUCESS%3A+Students+working+efficiently+in+the+Junior+Achievement+Center.+

Claire English

STUDYING THEIR WAY INTO SUCESS: Students working efficiently in the Junior Achievement Center.

The first ever Junior Achievement Center has arrived at Woodbridge Middle School. It kicks off every day after the last bell.

“I passed by students around town not making good decisions and ending in bad places” Mr. Keuscher, the program director, explained as the impetus for creating the Junior Achievement Center. He also said that he wants everyone to “bond” with each other. Rayna Jagasia, eighth grader, and Alyssa Gutierrez, sixth grader, both agree that they are “bonding” with each grade and are making friends with each other.

Mr. Keuscher explained that the program is more than just aftercare,“This is not a babysitting program.” He went on to explain that the students also have a lot of privileges, including making slime, science activities, a Halloween play, and many more options.

He wants parents to ”sign their kids up without needing to”, meaning that the parents are available, but want their child in JAC.

JAC has a myriad of activities in the three and a half hours including academic activities, athletic activities, art, chess, computers, and homework. Rayna Jagasia explained that her school work is being affected in a good way, “It balances studies and fun, you can’t be persuaded to one side.”

Mrs. Nemeth, a WMS teacher, helps out at JAC three days a week. She explained the bond that is created during the program, “ I got to know them better and I know more kids.” She also said she thinks JAC has a “positive” impact on students when it comes to the classroom. She also said “They are learning and don’t even know it.”

WMS vice principal, Mr. Harris, weighed in on what JAC is doing for the school, “Lifelong learners without question.” Harris then added, “They are good students and will complete a lot of work.”