School courtyard maintained after 18 years by student Ryleigh Mihalics and WMS staff

Victoria Hrabkovsky

THE COURTYARD: Kids working in the courtyard.

&autoplay=1

Mr. Malmstrom

Victoria Hrabkovsky, Fall Author

Last year, a sixth grade student by the name of Ryleigh Mihalics had an astonishing idea to breathe new life into the courtyard and add a time capsule. She inquired students to help her, but also a few teachers.

A school counselor, Ms. Torella, savored Mihalics idea. She spent a great amount of time helping the sixth grade student. “One day, Ryleigh came up to me and asked me to clean the courtyard; I said sure.”

Not only did Mihalics come up with the idea to maintain the courtyard, but also to bury a time capsule under one of the flowerbeds.

Mr. Blackmore, a science teacher, was set to manage the time capsule, however, he did not bury it yet. He said that the inside of the time capsule “received condensation” and that the container needed to be airtight. “I’ll dig it up soon,” he commented.

”Have you heard about the small toy elephants hidden in classrooms last year? Well,” Blackmore starts, “my honors science class were the ones that hid them. They enjoyed giving them to various classes and seeing the expression on students’ and teachers’ faces.”

“That’s what I want people to feel when opening the time capsule. I want them to enjoy the moment,” said Blackmore.

Some teachers that helped clean agreed with what Ms. Nemeth, an eighth grade language arts teacher, had said about the courtyard, “It was a beautiful spot that was being wasted.”

Mihalics shared her opinion of the courtyard now, “I thought it would look nicer and it would be a great place for people to eat and work.”  She continued, “We did a good job and had fun cleaning it. Seeing it in the end made me happy.”

Seventh grade honors language arts teacher Mr. Malmstrom said that he was “impressed” with the students and faculty members and their work. “The courtyard is a hallmark of the school’s spirit,” Malmstrom said.

“I did not help, but I enjoyed it,” said everyone’s favorite principal, Dr. Crow, “I think it looks beautiful; it’s a wonderful place.”