WMS salutes the veterans

Journalism reporters shared a picture with the men who changed their lives.

Veterans shared emotions and stories at Woodbridge Middle School on November 17, 2016 with WMS students and staff. Ms.Contala, from Avenel Middle School, created the program in order for students to learn about veteran experiences.

Ms.Contala is the head of technology club at AMS and the one we can thank for the veteran program at Woodbridge Middle School. She was also recognized by AZS(Alpha Zeta State) and Delta Kappa Gamma, which is an international society for key women educators. In Woodbridge Middle School, we even have some teachers that were recognized by this organization,such as Ms.McHale and Ms.Falcone.

Ms.McHale stated that Delta Kappa Gamma is a society for strong female educators from all over the world. She stated that there is a “broad spectrum of women” in the organization. When she was chosen for this organization, she felt very “honored” to be recognized with only four years at Woodbridge Middle School.

Ms. Contala stated her technology class would “make ‘thank you’ videos” for the veterans.  She even explained that her father and his four brothers and three brother-in-laws were in the service. Even she tried to join the service, but “teaching jobs were scarce at the time. There weren’t a lot of people teaching the children because most of the community were getting into the service.” Although she passed the test at the recruiting office, she chose teaching because she felt like it was her “passion”.  She went on to explain that the benefits one could have from joining the service were favorable.

Ms.Contala then said that she was interested in history in school, especially the history of countries and people. She majored in “Elementary Education and took many art courses” in college.

Celebrating Veterans Day was the focal point of the events at Woodbridge Middle School.  Ms.Contala said that on Veterans Day she “proudly hoists her flag” on her flag pole and says a prayer for all of those who are risking or risked their lives for this nation.

She also mentioned that when she hears a student say they want to join the service, she said it’s a very “honorable decision” and that it makes her feel proud that there are people willing to fight for the United States.  She also cautioned that enlisting is “honorable, but also dangerous.”

After all of the veterans presented, the WMS journalism students, veterans, Ms.Contala, and Dr.Crowe gathered in Mr.Malmstrom’s Language Arts/Journalism room to have a “round-table discussion.” The veterans spoke in more detail about their lives in the service and out of the service.

Veteran advice was a major theme of the discussion.  One of the veterans, Vincent Lupiano, said, “If you respect yourself, people will respect you. Respect is like a mirror.” Many of the people in the room were taken aback by the veterans’ wise words.

Following this experience, journalism students and veterans took a picture in the front of the school to commemorate the veterans that came and shared their stories and advice at Woodbridge Middle School.

After all of the veterans had left the school, Mr.Miller, the veteran program coordinator for WMS, said that the event “went splendidly” and that the veterans said the experience was positive and were “ ‘astonished’ by the amount of interaction that they were able to have in the round-table with journalism students.”

Mr.Malmstrom, journalism and language arts teacher, also commented on his journalism students, saying that they were “exceptional representatives of Woodbridge Middle School” and he was proud of their professionalism that day. He also mentioned that his journalism students “conducted themselves with great aplomb.”

Dr.Crowe, Woodbridge Middle School’s principal, said that the day went “fantastically” and that he “couldn’t have asked for it to go any better.”  He also mentioned  that his favorite part of the day was the round-table discussion the journalism students had with the veterans. He even said that he would like to use the round-table format for many more events.

Many of the students here realized that citizens in the service now and those that have retired from it have worked tirelessly to protect this nation. Unlike most of us, who sometimes complain about our lives, these soldiers are living in tents on the ground, struggling to survive, and spending time away from their families to protect our nation.

Often times people can be ignorant to the situation. It’s not necessarily their fault, it is because they don’t know someone that has served our country. This experience is so important because it teaches people about the emotional stress, loss, and harsh realities of war.

This topic really hit home  because some of my own relatives were in the service. They have seen things we can’t even imagine. They have physical scars, but also emotional scars. My great-grandpa has a difficulty with fireworks or loud noise because it reminds him of those dark times he went through in the service.

We should appreciate all that these soldiers and veterans have done for our nation because they sacrifice everything they cherish for our country.