• December 21WMS Boys Basketball Plays AMS today at 4:00 in AMS
  • October 16WMS softball team plays Avenel in the playoff game today at WHS, 6:00!
  • October 11WMS softball team plays FMS today at 4:15 at Colonia middle!

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Mr. Salinas discusses the Diversity and Equity Council

Amina Lone
A poster near Mr. Salinas’s room, which represents diversity.

The following is a full transcript of the interview given by Mr. Salinas to Amina Lone about the Diversity and Equity Council.

Amina: What are your thoughts on this council?

Mr. Salinas: I think it is good for us to have a Diversity and Equity Council, so that students feel they have a place to share any concerns that they might have and a place where they feel comfortable with being who they are.  It is a great opportunity for our students to share their cultural background with each other.

AL: Have you cooperated with any other council or club similar to this one?

MS: So right now, I’m part of the Narrative 4 group [which is] a story exchange group that we have, and what that does is that it allows students to tell stories to other students about their own experiences.

AL: What are some activities or events that will be planned?

MS: We’re going to plan a story exchange where students are going to meet other students that they don’t know. So, they’re going to introduce themselves and share a personal story to each other and that way, we’ll build a better community.   

AL: Is this the first year of the Diversity and Equity Council or was this already a council back then?

MS: So, we had a Diversity and Equity committee last year. The students are a part of it and we did activities for Native American Heritage Month, Hispanic Heritage Month, or Women’s History Month. The activities were geared towards exploring information and presenting that information to our general student body during morning announcements. Another activity we did was henna and it brings cultural aspects to the Diversity and Equity Council. 

AL: Do the teachers mostly plan all the events or do the students?

MS: So we like to have student-led discussions and we build these activities around what students want to see and what students want to do. It’s the student’s idea and we kind of help.

AL: Has this council help you in any way?

MS: Well, it’s allowed me to talk to more students and get a chance to know a little bit more about their culture. It’s actually given the students an opportunity to be more free with sharing information that they might not have felt comfortable in the beginning.

AL: What is the most important thing about this council and why?

MS: That the students feel comfortable in sharing information and talk about their culture to share with other students and what their differences are and what their similarities are as well when it comes to what makes up you as a student, your family, your culture, your background, music that you listen to, the food that you eat, and celebrations that you have, so I think all that is important.

AL: Thank you! Is there anything else you would like to add?

MS: No, that’s it. Thank you for coming! I appreciate it!

AL: Alright, thank you. Have a wonderful day! Adios!

MS: Chao!