Brighten up and smile: With Student Discovery Day

MAKE IT BRIGHTER:Light up the future with WMS

Cynthia Olsen, Author

This January the thirteenth at WMS we are having our first discovery day with all the kids and some teachers.

Dr.Lott, the principal, said, “I think it’s very important the students pick a workshop that they are interested in, not what your friends are interested in, not what they like. What you like and what you actually want to do.”

Dr.Lott explained that students will not be able to switch classes during the sessions. She said, “So, unfortunately, no, I’m going to have their sign-in sheets and we’re going to have a list of where the students are, god forbid, if there is ever an emergency we need to know exactly what classes they are in.”

Some students wanted to know if this would be done again this year.  She said, “This is our first year doing this and next year will have a better understanding of doing this and be able to choose better next time.”

Because this is a day for student interest, WMS has gone beyond the faculty to find more people to teach classes students will be interested in.  Dr. Lott explained who some of these participants are, “I do have a PTO member coming to do a workshop and she has a quiet site of what workshop she will be doing but yes and she is currently an Italian teacher so I’m hoping she will do something Italian. We have Mrs.Van Handel coming to teach kids how to be good dog owners.”

Dr.Lott was asked why we are having Student Discovery Day and how she felt about school, “I believe as a school we are here to educate and the school doesn’t stop at the classroom with math, English, and history. We are here to teach you how to be people and have life skills and I think this is a really good opportunity to spark something in you.”