WMS students discuss ideas for more activities

Lugina Elshikh

WMS SCULPTING: Students sculpt as one of the activities offered at WMS.

Lugina Elshikh, Author

With a new administration at WMS, students are excited about being able to try out new activities.  In the beginning of the year there was a Club Fair for students to join.

New principal, Dr. Lott, said that she believes clubs and activities create a positive school culture.  She said, “School should be a second home to everyone so I feel that it’s so important to have culture to the school.”

WMS 8th grade teacher Mr. Catalano said, “I think it would be a good idea to add more activities to the school, it would give them more motivation to be more involved in school, and have something more to look forward to then just being spectators.” Catalano always wanted to embrace the physical activities in WMS to create students to come to school and have fun, but to also learn in a good way.  

One of the seventh grade students of WMS, Dorcus Amusa, said it will “never hurt to have more opportunities for students to be athletic and to have fun.”  Amusa said she believes in school athleticism and a lot of physical activities. 

Amusa also was intrigued by how WMS added more clubs and that the students were allowed an opportunity to actually have a thought about what happens at WMS. Amusa said it’s always a great thing to add more activities and clubs because last year we weren’t able to play any sports. “When I was a 6th grader I didn’t know what was really happening, but now I would know what’s going on here and would be more associated with it.”  

Lack of activities, but mainly sports, for 6th graders is a common theme across the grade. A WMS 6th grader, Sophia Guzman, said, “I would feel like we would have more abilities to do more stuff.” Guzman was upset by the lack of active participation that the 6th graders get and Guzman said,  “I was kind of disappointed because I wanted to play more sports because I’m very active.”

As the principal of WMS. Dr. Lott said she believes that having students come to her with open ideas is what makes WMS so special.  She said, “There’s no limitations to what clubs can be started.” WMS gets to jump into their winter break with open ideas, as students come together with sports, and more ideas to Dr.Lott.