NFL Rankings Through Week 5

Upcoming second time MVP Lamar Jackson

Sean Russo

Upcoming second time MVP Lamar Jackson

Sean Russo, Editor

Rookie Of The Year Rankings

1. Ja’Marr Chase

2. Najee Harris

3. Mac Jones

Ja’Marr Chase:Many young athletes come into the NFL every year. Some say they will be busts and some say they will be their franchise. Ja’Marr Chase is a 21 year old wide receiver from the LSU Tigers and now is a Cincinnati Bengal, who is having a great rookie season. Through the fist 5 games Ja’marr Chase had 5 touchdowns, 456 yards, and 23 receptions. He has killer speed and his route running is elite.

Najee Harris:The 2020-2021 draft didn’t have a lot of running backs, but one big name everyone knew was the 6-2 229 pounds Najee Harris out of Alabama. Najee Harris was picked 24th overall by the Pittsburgh Steelers. A lot of people said he is a perfect fit for the Steelers and I agree because their running game was not great last season. In week 5 Najee Harris has 307 yards, 2 touchdowns,78 carries, And 28 receptions.

Mac Jones:This season hosted many new quarterbacks. Many say Trevor Lawrence is the best QB in the draft, but in my opinion Mac Jones, the QB out of Alabama, is having a great rookie year as a New England Patriot so far. In 5 games He had 1,243 passing yards,  5 touchdowns, and 71 completion rate. 

MVP Rankings

1. Lamar Jackson

2.Kyler Murray 

3. Derrick Henry

Lamar Jackson:As everyone knows, there are a lot of great players in the NFL. Every year there’s always a debate about who’s going to be the MVP.  The first 5 games in the 2021-2022 was going great for Jackson. We all know that Lamar Jackson the Baltimore Ravens QB is one of the most athletic players in the  league and he’s showing it off this season. Lamar Jackson has 1,519 passing yards,8tds, a 67 percent completion rate,and 341 rushing yards through the first five games of the season. If he keeps this up I think he will be MVP. Lamar can do it all he has the arm and the legs and he shows how he can lead his team to victory.

Kyler Murray:Usually quarterbacks need to be tall to be successful, but 5-10 quarterback Kyler Murray is having a year to remember. He is a very mobile quarterback and has a great arm. Murray started the season 1,512 passing yards,10 touchdowns, and 70 rushing yards. He is a great leader for his team and his team the Arizona Cardinals are 8-1. If he keeps being a good leader he has a shot for MVP. A lot of defenses can’t tackle him because he is too fast for them.

Derrick Henry:There are a couple of great running backs in the league, but there is a running back that is just built differently. His name is Derek Henry, the 6-3, 240 pound running back that is fast and strong. He is having a great year so far in the season. He has 640 yards and 7 touchdowns. One thing he doesn’t get enough credit for is that he blocks really well in the backfield. A lot of players do not want to tackle him because he has a great stiff arm. He will just throw you if you do not go low and wrap. He has a good chance of winning MVP this season if he stays healthy.

Here’s what WMS students had to say

After interviewing WMS students they gave me their opinion on who will win all these awards in the NFL, like MVP, rookie of the year, and DPOY(Defensive player of the year). The most asked question is, who will win MVP?

8th grade student, Gavin Slicner, said, “An MVP should have leadership, lead your team to victory, and should not be selfish.” Slicner continued, “My MVP this season will be Kyler Murray, because he’s being a leader, and leading his team to victory.” 

There were a lot of young rookies coming into this season and people were wondering who will win rookie of the year. Slicner said, “Ja’Marr Chase because he is an elite wr and he’s showing off his skills”.

Slicner said he also loves defense, so I asked who will win DPOY and he said, “Trevon Diggs because he has 6 INT’s in 6 games”.

WMS students had a wide range of opinions about who should win MVP. 8th grade student Chris Joy said, “Leadership and making your team get better.” Joy also said, “Now I think Kyler Murray will be MVP because he’s a great leader and he is helping his teammates.”

There’s one rookie that everyone likes and his name is Ja’Marr Chase. Joy said, “He is a very exciting player to watch as long as he keeps it up I think he will be rookie of the year.” 

Other opinions vary such as 8th grade student Dylan Mastrola.

Mastrola said,” Zach Wilson will win MVP because he is the goat and is having a great year.”

Mastrola also said,”Trevor Lawrence will win rookie of the year because he’s leading his team to victory.”

Defense is a key factor in most sports, 8th grade student Billy Mansfield said,” Tj watt will probably win DPOY because he is very big and strong and gets off the ball fast.”

Overall many athletes in the nfl have amazing talent, but these stand out the most.