Warriors baseball achieves great season, but falls short in championship

Michael+Gurovich++bats+for+the+WMS+Warriors+

Tyler Malmstrom

Michael Gurovich bats for the WMS Warriors

Christopher Joy and Sean Russo

For the first time in two years WMS baseball has returned. WMS students put together a team to win it all. Though they fell short in the championships, they managed to have a memorable season.

While many players interpreted the season differently, it was still enjoyable for them. WMS 8th grader Gavin Slicner said, “It made me realize the importance of stretching, and staying healthy.” 

Skills also were impacted throughout the season for many players such as 8th grader Dylan Mastrola. Mastrola said, “ I improved in every aspect except pitching.” Mastrola also  talked about how “getting reps” behind the plate really helped the team out with one main catcher.

Social skills were  also impacted by the season, for example, players such as 7th grader Nate Langon. Langon said, “I got to meet new students and teachers.” Langon also said, “The season helped me focus on my work and stay out of trouble.”

Not everything went as planned this season and many people improved in ways they didn’t think they could. 8th grader Brayden Vargo said, “Hitting and fielding came easier to me throughout the season.” Vargo also discussed how “knowing the rules” impacted some decisions he made.

Physicality isn’t the only improvement that happened this season; 8th grader Billy Mansfield said, “I learned to become a better teammate.”

Billy Mansfield pitches for WMS in championship game

Overall, baseball helped build relationships  throughout the season. For example, Slicner said, “I’ve become closer with Nate, which is really cool because I’ve never talked to him that much before.” 

Although WMS didn’t win the championship, students became closer as a result of the season. For example, Mansfield said,” I’ve become closer with Hogan, because I’ve never talked to him that much before.”

The coaches echoed the sentiments of the players. 7th and 8th grade teacher Mr. Malmstrom/Coach Malmstrom said, “This is one of my favorite seasons, because of the nice group of students on the team.” Malmstrom also discussed how “seeing all of the players come together  made the team feel like a family.”

“Exhausted”, was a word used  by Head Coach Thomsen to describe the season after many games and practices were canceled. Thomsen said, “It was hard to have players make improvements while we only had two practices.” Thomsen also said he would want all of his players to be “motivated” to come to practice. 

Though the Warriors didn’t come out on top, with a tough loss against CMS, the season still had a positive impact on players and coaches that will have a spot in their  heart for time to come.