Fitness In The Offseason

Jack Brenner, Fall Editor

Fitness is crucial. And it’s even more important in the offseason. When others are inside resting, players that practice and train during the offseason are going to be better thanthe competition. Students in Woodbridge Middle School seem to agree. 

Two year baseball star, Mikey Travostino, said that in the offseason he goes to baseball fields to practice hitting and fielding with his father. He explained that he goes after school some days and on weekends. He says training is “essential” in the offseason to stay on top of his game. 

A former Colonia High School varsity baseball player Joseph Adase is an adult and still hones his skills to this day. Adase often goes to the gym by himself or with his friends to bench press, do cardio, and lift weights. He goes to the gym either after work or around 5-6pm. He says he “works to stay in game condition”. 

Ariel Perez is an experienced athlete as he has played two years on the Woodbridge Middle School boys basketball team. Perez goes to the gym to run and jump to get back in basketball shape. He goes to the gym at anytime by himself. Perez disagreed and said “training is not crucial” in the offseason and didn’t have reasoning to why. 

Kyle Robinson, another two year member of the Woodbridge Middle School basketball team, is a believer in offseason work. Robinson is a former baseball player, but now focuses on basketball;, he practices his basketball skills in the gym. He practices with his private basketball trainer and trains in the offseason to stay in shape. 

Jacob Oatman,a two year member of the Woodbridge Middle School baseball team and a one year member of the Woodbridge Middle School boys basketball team, is fond of offseason work. He practices basketball in the club with his friend Luke Vazquez. His workout starts as soon as he wakes up. He says offseason work is important because “it gets you stronger and prepared for the upcoming season.” 

Offseason work is the most important work. It shows who was practicing and who wasn’t. Offseason work will put players ahead of the game and give them the best chance to succeed.