Student Council leads the way

Students walk around WMS during the week of respect.

This year’s student council led by Mrs. Burke and Mrs. Dymond kicked off the year with fundraisers.  Students and faculty collaborate on their free time to develop ideas to raise money.

Mrs.Burke and Mrs.Dymond love being advisors. Mrs.Dymond commented “I love it, I love meeting new students I don’t get to teach.” Mrs.Burke’s favorite part of Student Council is working with Mrs.Dymond and working with dedicated students.

Mrs.Burke and Mrs.Dymond both feel that a Student Council member needs the following: Dedication, Commitment, leadership, new ideas, being involved and coming to meetings.

During October, Student Council volunteered at a breast cancer walk in Edison. At 8:00am on a Sunday teachers, students, family and friends came together to raise awareness for this terrible sickness. Nicole Galicia thinks in order to get more students involved, Student Council should spread the news sooner. She believes it’s a great way to raise money for this event and it shows how much people really care.

Also, throughout the month Student Council had many events such as a bake sale and a fourth block walk to support the cause. Sophia Cook, 6th grader, thought the walk was amazing. She donated money to a great cause while hanging out with friends. Matthew Barona thought the walk was a bit boring, but it was worth it for a good cause.

jchepelsc2f

The WMS family raised over $3,100  for breast cancer. The only thing the advisors might change about the event is to get rid of water bottles, which enabled some water fights.

The core fundraisers and events they plan to host are fourth block pink walk, David’s Touch, food drives, Pasta for Pennies, and collections for the troops.  The advisors and students are trying to come up with new events to do as a school community. Teachers feel that the Student Council has a positive impact on WMS.  Students are encouraged to come forward with any ideas they may have.