• April 3Girls trying out for volleyball tryouts are Tuesday, April 9 at Fords Middle School

• April 3Girls trying out for the volleyball team this year papers are due this Friday April 5

• March 28Boys needed for the boys volleyball team!!! See Mr.Murphy for more details.

The Effect of Mindfulness

Photo+via+https%3A%2F%2Fpixabay.com%2Fen%2Fbuddha-meditation-mindfulness-east-1494564%2F+Under+the+Creative+Commons+License+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Effect of Mindfulness

Photo via https://pixabay.com/en/buddha-meditation-mindfulness-east-1494564/ Under the Creative Commons License

Deevany Ruiz, Fall Editor

Mindfulness means becoming aware of where one is and what one is doing, while peacefully recognizing and accepting one’s feelings and apprehensions. It is an ability to be fully present and not overwhelmed by one’s surroundings.

After trying some techniques, I have learned that there are many ways of being  mindful. Such as eating mindfully; you can watch what you’re giving your body, but at the same time enjoy what you love to eat.

I have learned that when meditating, it is important to be aware of my surroundings, and try not to get lost in thought. You can also observe your thoughts by listening and agreeing with them. Your emotions play a powerful part in being mindful.

Mindful Eating:

Mindful eating is listening to your body and stopping when full. It is eating foods that are nutritionally healthy and it is eating without multitasking. Being mindful is considering the life cycle of your food that goes into your body. While you eat, you will have to engage your senses by noticing smell, color, taste, and texture. These things allow you to replace automatic thoughts and reactions with more conscious and healthier response.

My Experience With Mindful Eating:

Before every meal I would say to myself out loud ‘Mindful eating simply means paying attention to your sensation before, during, and after a meal’. I would say this aloud to understand why I was doing this. I tried this to experience something new and somewhat exciting; I wanted a challenge and goal to set for the future. And I accomplished just that, even though I haven’t continued mindful eating I know what it is and how it feels. I ate without distractions, in silence. A change that I saw was that this experience had brightened my day. And I ensure you it can brighten your day too.

Mindful Breathing:

Mindful breathing is a way to control your breath and yourself. The concentration on the breathing has a positive effect on your entire physical and mental state.  It is also observing and being aware of your breath by breathing in and breathing out without controlling or judging it in any way.

My Experience With Mindful Breathing:

Each day I took 15 minutes for at least two weeks to practice. Within those 15 minutes I forced myself to follow my breath. Some days I  would be sitting, and on others I would be laying in a comfortable position. For me sitting in a chair is better, it is comfortable and doesn’t bore you. I kept my back upright, but not too tense. My tongue was placed at the roof of my mouth. I relaxed my body and had to let myself relax the area of tension. I had to feel the natural flow of my  breath. To feel the breath within my chest, thoat, and nostrils. I had to notice when one breath ended, and the next breath began. This would calm and relax, everyday I try to continue this and finish achieving my goal. I would totally recommend this to everyone, it can impact you in many good ways.

Meditation:

When angry or upset I would go into a room, shut the door, and sit. I would place my hand in front of my stomach, with my finger interlaced, with my little fingers pointing upwards. There are many different styles of hand structure for meditation. I use the ANG the crown of chakra (described in the previous sentence)  which gives out spiritual health and intelligence.

My Experience With Meditation:

I tried this experience to explore something new in life. At times I felt sleepy and bored, but other times I felt happy and full of joy. Meditation affected my mood and emotions. Each day for two weeks I would take 45 minutes to meditate. I would light candles and place them around me, then I would sit and calm myself. I kept my mind from wandering. Then, if my mind wandered off, I  would say “thinking” or “wondering” softly in my mind. Or I would count up to ten, then start again at one. And then redirect my attention to my breathing. Silence took over my surroundings until I was ready to be taken out of what I would describe as a “trance”.