• April 3Girls trying out for volleyball tryouts are Tuesday, April 9 at Fords Middle School

• April 3Girls trying out for the volleyball team this year papers are due this Friday April 5

• March 28Boys needed for the boys volleyball team!!! See Mr.Murphy for more details.

The United States buys land west of The Mississippi River for 15 million-11/29/1803

Photo via https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Frank_bond_1912_louisiana_and_the_louisiana_purchase.jpg under the creative commons licence

Natalie Shockley, Fall Editor

On November 29, 1803 The United States bought land west of The Mississippi River for 15 million off of France.

Former President Thomas Jefferson wanted to expand America’s land so he made a deal with France to buy Louisiana. This is now famously known as The Louisiana Purchase. Louisiana back then consisted of Missouri, Arkansas, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Louisiana. Plus some land of Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and Minnesota.

In total The U.S acquired at least 827,000 square miles of land.