Violence awareness week

Back to Article
Back to Article

Violence awareness week

Melina Vasquez, Fall editor

When someone says Violence, most people think about fights. I sure do. However, not everything is about physical violence. WMS students and teachers share how they would handle a violent situation.

Mrs. Torrella explained that it is important to “make the student’s be aware of suicide and what’s going on in the world”. Mr. Harris, the Vice Principal also explained, “To make kids aware of the violence in the country”.

Mr.Harris has been in WMS for 9 years so he couldn’t answer how long the program has been going on. Mrs.Torrella, on the other hand, said, “ Many years ago. I have been here for a long time s0 many years ago”.

When asked how the school changed since the program, Mrs.Torrella answered honestly, “The students are more aware of suicide and bullying”. Similarly, Mr.Harris said, “ more kids are aware and have reduced the fighting”.

Mrs.Duffy, 6th grade language arts teacher, explained that violence is not the answer to anyone’s problem, “Hard question because of war, no because there are many other ways to solve problem”. Then Mr.Lee went on to explain that not in America because we are educated, “Not in America we have different point of views we are educated, we know better some are not as educated”.

Mrs.Liastro then went on to explain that violence should not be the answer to anyone’s problem, “never I think that there more options to solving problems I think violence is a reaction that people normally have time to think about the situation”.

Mrs.Duffy explained that there are many ways to avoid violence. Here is one way Mrs.Duffy explained to avoid violence, “talking things and seeing both sides of the situation so you eliminate anger. “

“Through education people should think before they act and people can learn better coping mechanisms,” explained Mrs.Liastro. Mr.Lee on the other hand said, “ Listen more, it’s not just hearing, but listening because that involves understanding arguments”.

Mr.Lee is a captain in the army; he explained what to do if presented with violence,, ‘’I will fight. We have a right to protect ourselves; we shouldn’t harm, but we should protect ourselves”. On the other hand someone who isnt in the in the army,Mrs.Duffy said, “I would go to someone who can help me whether it would be someone in authority or a parent”.

A student has a different perspective of everything so when asked a question about violence they would say something different than teachers. For example, Abraham an 8th grade student, explained what can cause violence, “ Not having friends, Spread the word around school.”

When Mrs.Duffy was asked about if violence is the answer she thought about war, but on the other hand, 8th grader Abraham, said, “Depends on the situation”. When violence is increased  you must feel devastated.“ is presented with violence, “it depends who is abusing me. If it’s a friend, I’ll stop being friends with them but if it’s another person I’ll call the cops,” explained Abraham.