Anxiety must be stopped

Photo via https://pixabay.com/en/photos/anxiety/ under the Creative Commons Liscense

Deevany Ruiz, Fall Editor

Anxiety wraps the thoughts of students in negativity until it has inflicted their brains. It has brought darkness to the most innocent of minds. Many people suffer the thought of the question “What if?” What if nobody likes my voice or what I wear? This question should not be asked, people should be asking themselves, “Do I feel comfortable about myself?” Did you know that anxiety can affect a person physically as well as mentally? Some physical symptoms, include panic attack, shortness of breath, shaking, nausea, headache, rapid heartbeat, and dizziness.

According to anxietypanichealth.com up to 75 percent of all people with anxiety or other mental illness attempt suicide. Ms.Pastor stated that anxiety can lead to severe side-effects, “Yes, because if someone has a lot of anxiety and they don’t know how to handle it, it can then cause them to commit suicide.” www.Verywellhealth.com stated that  suicide is one of the three leading causes of death for American citizens ages 15 to 44.

The  www.psychologytoday.com article ‘Young and Clueless: Thinking about the Big Rise in Anxiety’ examines that  many teens are clueless to what to do when they have anxiety. They say that teens probably don’t even know they have it. Some teens can’t even be around a person without thinking negative thoughts. As a result, these past years suicide has increased, may teens accomplish this because there’s no one who supports them.

Cassandra, a 7th grader at WMS, stated her opinion on social media and its effect on anxiety, “Yes, there can be a lot going on, and sometimes it can feel like you’re choking.” Social media only triggers sadness and lessens a student’s well-being. www.forbes.com article “6 Ways Social Media Affects Our Mental Health” explains that “One study a few years ago found that Facebook use was linked to both less moment-to-moment happiness and less life satisfaction—the more people used Facebook in a day, the more these two variables dropped off.”

In fact, another study found that social media use is linked to greater feelings of social isolation. It causes students and teens to feel trapped in their thoughts and feelings. Marco Grados, a psychiatry & neurology doctor says,”With social media, it’s all about the self-image — who’s ‘liking’ them, who’s watching them, who clicked on their picture.” Everything can turn into something negative, kids are exposed to that day after day, and it’s terrible for them.

This article mostly questioned why there is such a rise in anxiety among today’s youth. I think that anxiety is a widespread issue among teens. It’s the most common reason why teens become depressed, stressed, tense, distracted, and have thoughts of killing themselves.

It might begin with a talk at the dinner table. If your parent/guardian is working too many hours or aren’t sleeping. Both are too anxious to let their smartphones go unattended for the length of dinner. Erin Anderss from www.theglobeandmail.com says that “The stress spreads likes a sneeze: Anxious parents create anxious offspring, both by nature and nurture. In a society infected with fretfulness, we’re all in this worry stew together. Officially, anxiety is defined by excessive, which causes worry that significantly interferes with a teens ability to function at school and at home.” Anvita, a 7th grader at WMS, says she thinks anxiety is “There own self-esteem they think the world is against them. Sometimes people just have stage fright and are afraid of the things around them.”

Many people worry about many different things. Some things I worry about is disappointment, not being loved, and harm coming to my family. These can be some examples of what kids worry about. They fear that they will disappoint there family and bring great shame to them. Or that their parent are putting pressure on them. If you feel anxious just know that there are people that can help. You can talk to a teacher, school counselor, or a parent/guardian. You can also call the anxiety hotline number or go to there website, which is www.mentalhelp.net.