The Woodbridge Domestic Team brings the awareness of domestic abuse to WMS

On April 20th Woodbridge Middle School and the Woodbridge Domestic Violence Team and brought awareness of domestic violence to the 8th grade students through a well performed play.

Tim Hoover and Amie Cazel performed for the students, all members of the Deana’s Educational Theatre, Cazel and Hoover have been members of the program for 12 years, this being their first performance at WMS.

The students played a huge role in the play; the actors interacting with the audience as they asked questions. Students Gianfranco Borrani, Emma Hodgins, Ashley Tolocka, Julia Lubas, and Khushi Patel all participated in the assembly. Hodgins describes the play as “important”, giving students the message that “you will be found” when you go through a difficult situation. “It’s a great point to speak about,” Hodgins explains.

“It’s more than an assembly.”Julia Lubas thought it brought attention to the subject, and finds it important to look for warning signs of an abusive relationship.

Borrani finds that the assembly took on a “very serious topic”, saying how people can be controlling. “They should [go more in-depth on the topic], especially at this age.” Borrani expresses.

“Teachers may be able to help them,” Patel believes we can learn more through the internet, saying shows such as 13 Reasons Why and Pretty Little Liars teach her about topics like domestic violence.

Deana’s Educational Theatre not only travels to different states in the country of America, but to different countries! This company originally is in Massachusetts, yet manages to go world wide discussing about the domestic awareness.

Ms. Davidson, WMS’ student assistance counselor invited the Theatre to our middle school because, “I thought they were addressing a topic that we don’t necessarily talk about in middle schools.” As the students now know that domestic abuse is not good for anyone, so what can a student do to prevent that from happening? Miss Davidson says, “Students can help prevent domestic violence by I think first of all, hoping the person understands that what they’re going through isn’t healthy.” She continues, “I think sometimes people think that what they’re going through is something that is healthy and it’s normal.”

Some other activities to help students understand this serious topic from Miss Davidson are, “More presentations and just you know more knowledge in awareness to it.” Her advice for people trapped in these type of situations would be to speak to someone.

WMS appreciates the actors coming over to teach the 8th grade students about a topic that will be needed in the upcoming years in high school. Be aware for red flags and be safe 8th graders!