How well do you know the home of the brave?

Photo via Public Domain Pictures under the Creative Commons License

By interviewing 11 citizens of the United States, all of them are not capable of finding the states except for two people. People can’t bear, but to bring up the question, do you know all the 50 states?

Out of the 11 US citizens, 7 of them were students at WMS; the other 4 were teachers.
The first 5 interviewed were 8th graders that took an online quiz to see if they could find the 50 states. The average age of the students tested was 13 years of age. The average score of the students were 22/50 states. The 8th grade scores were 30/50, 21/50, 16/50, 27/50, 26/50. The 6th grade scores were 14/50 and 23/50.

Out of the 7 students interviewed, 6 of them said that identifying all of the 50 states are important. The 1 other student disagreed on the topic. One 8th grader said they never were taught them, but wants to learn them and thinks it’s important.

During the quiz, an 8th grade student got the state of Hawaii incorrect; a 6th grader got Alaska wrong as well. This proves that students have may need to brush up on there Geograeir US

The lowest scores were from the 6th graders with scores of 14/50 and 23/50. The solution to this reasoning might be that they are the lowest grade in some schools throughout the country. 7th grade Civics teacher at WMS, Mr. Miller, got the lowest score throughout all of teachers interviewed which was a 32/50. Miller said that “I this about ago six years and it goes to show how easily you can forget this stuff.” Age:46

The next teacher that was interviewed was 7th and 8th grade Language Arts teacher, Mr. Murphy. Age;24 Murphy achieved a high score of 48/50. He says that he missed clicked and knows that Arizona is not Florida. “Knowing this should be like reading and writing, everyone should know it.” Murphy explained.

The next teacher, Mr. Lee, achieved the highest score of 49/50. Age; 39. Mr. Lee was a Major and a 4th level officer while serving time in the military before teaching. Lee said that there’s more than knowing where they are, but the size and demographics to. He also said that it’s important to know where events are occuring in the US.

The second to last teacher was Mr. Blackmore age 47. Blackmore got a walloping score of 48/50. He stated, that we are losing others ideas with not knowing were states and events are. He added it’s important to know others ideas in different places.

The last teacher was Mr. Olvesen. Even though Olvesen raged and quit the test after getting two wrong; Olvesen stated, “I’m embarrassed as an American to not know this.”