WMS winter concert was snow joke

The WMS Winter Concert showcased band and chorus on December 13. Mr McGuire and Ms. Benkert conducted a plethora of songs for the annual concert.

The chorus and music teacher, Mr. McGuire, is one of the newest teachers at WMS. He expressed his enthusiasm, “I was really happy with how the music came, I’m happy with how the students performed, and I’m happy with how the audience responded”. The chorus teacher worked hard preparing his students for the concert, his efforts were not in vain because he believes his sections “sounded amazing”. He is proud of the work his students put in and enjoys working with them, “My students give me energy and they keep me on my toes, so it’s definitely rewarding and fun.” He would like students to know, “I’m just really proud of the job my students did.”

An eighth grade chorus member Grace Terrell explains how she felt about her last winter concert in middle school, “It was just kind of fun to not have it be as stressful”. She respects Mr. McGuire and how he arranged and taught for the concert, “He’s wonderful, I think he’s great and he’s really nice with the kids. He gets along with the sixth graders and I think that helped.”
6th grade chorus member, Dwayne Mendonca, said how he was not nervous for the concert, “no, I’ve done multiple before”. He was “excited” to perform and feels that Mr. McGuire is “ a great teacher”.

Another student of Mr. McGuire is Isabella Rosano, and eighth grader, in the tone chimes ensemble. She praises Mr. McGuire for his (teaching methods?????), ”its new and different, but I he’s doing a very good job with teaching and he’s definitely teaching us some new things.” The performance and quality was “graceful” when the tone chimes all played together. 6th Grader Dwaine Fenzonka

The instrumental band teacher Ms. Benkert put on the band portion of the concert. She was “definitely proud” of the outcome, “Within the short amount of time that we have, everybody improved a lot and everybody really worked toward the goals that we all set out to make.” Of course, the band members could not have done this by themselves. This year rehearsals for both 6th and 7th/8th grade band were held in the morning. Ms. Benkert responded, “I think, yes, it felt that it affected how many people were at rehearsal.” Possibly one of the reasons the band sounded so great. Ms. Benkert would like her student to know, “they were awesome”.

The 6th grade band president Brianna Gonzalez took part of her first middle school winter concert, “I wasn’t that nervous, it was very exciting.” The energy was definitely up with the 6th grade band, she says, “ I think it went pretty well”. Morgan Diviney, another 6th grade band member believes the concert went “great”. The 6th grade students were eager to perform on the stage. Morgan likes Ms. Benkert as a band teacher because, “she teaches good stuff”. Just another reason why the concert had such an enjoyable outcome.

Chloe Monsanto is a 7th grade jazz band member. She comments, “I like how we are a combination of many grades so you can make new friends that aren’t in your grade”. She believes, “I feel like its more complex being in stage band the because the tunes and the style is different than regular band so it can be harder to adjust, being in different genres of music”. The jazz band, nevertheless, put on an amazing performance for the concert.

Jake Vazquez is the 7th/8th grade band president. He is committed to the band, “Band has had a huge influence on my life, from morning rehearsals to practicing for hours in my basement.” The dedication he put in was a strength to his presidency and helped contribute to the mellifluous songs that were performed.

The band and chorus put on an amazing show and featured all of the hard work put into the their craft. Once again, the winter concert had another year of great accomplishment.