WMS shows school spirit for Gulfview Middle School

SUMMER IN DECEMBER- WMS staff showing their school spirit on Hawaiian Day. Photo credits to Lorena Gama

Maggie McNee, Fall editor

This past week of December 4th through the 8th, Woodbridge Middle fundraised for Gulfview Middle by showing their school spirit.

Creator of spirit week and NJHS Vice President, Nick Hilenski, says that it will “let kids have fun for a good cause”. To participate, students paid three dollars for the whole week, or one dollar for each day a student dresses up. Themes were, superhero day, twin day, hawaiian day, throwback Thursday and WMS day. We took polls from a few students in each grade to see which day was the most popular and the least popular.

Most students enjoyed superhero day the most. They got to take pictures with their friends wearing different capes and superhero outfits. There were also some kids who wanted to remove twin day, since “you can twin with your friend any day of the week.“

Teachers “loved” the idea of spirit week as well. 6th graders Jasmine and David said they “enjoyed spirit week” and liked each day’s theme. But the 7th and 8th graders Romani and Jan would want a pajama day, meme day, or pizza Friday. “Pizza day would be better than twin day for kids because you can twin whenever you want” says Jan in 8th grade.

Overall,many students participated and thought the week was enjoyable. WMS raised about 245 dollars. Teachers thought it was a fun way to get students involved in school activities to raise money for a good cause!