Middle school heroes!

Natalie Pejko

WMS Students at their best being heroes!

Natalie Pejko, Fall Editor

Although they didn’t jump through burning buildings, or cross fire pits, on November 1, 2017, the middle school sidekicks and our school counselors went to elementary schools #11, #9, and #1. They visited the elementary schools for about one hour, helping them with the next step of their life

Two of the sidekicks, Erica Mizak and Jayden Mercado shared how they felt about seeing the fourth graders and guiding them in the right direction. Mizak says the fourth graders were “really nice” and it was “cool to talk to them”. Mercado also says that he now “knows what’s it’s like for a teacher to talk in front of students” because they all had to share their stories and teach about responsibilities like a school teacher would.

The day began at around 9:15 am when group one split up and headed out to Mawbey Street School and Ross Street School. Once the eighth graders arrived and got assigned their classroom, they started to talk about setting goals and planning or thinking ahead. Everyone was nervous at first, even the fourth graders, but as each class started playing games, they all opened up, had fun, and let loose.

All classes played the human knot, backwards charades, and two classes played simon says. Although they didn’t have enough time to finish up the questions students had, the sidekicks did answer some of them and gave fourth graders a glimpse of what middle school life is like.

Even the principal of school #1 Mawbey Street School, Ms. Balog, says “It is a very positive and age appropriate program that allows our students [at Mawbey] to interact with the WMS students in a positive environment.” She also says that she is “pleased” with how the eighth graders have been acting and teaching her students.

Good job on representing WMS, Sidekicks!