Adapting to Obstacles #2 – Coping

Photo via https://pixabay.com/en/inspiration-quote-1136862/ under the Creative Commons License

Alivia Toliver, Spring Editor

Adapting to Obstacles:

Throughout schools worldwide, many different problems ally within individual students and teachers, whether it’s noticeable or not.  The occurring problems are best if resolved beforehand, no matter the length of time.  What is most important is that they eventually settle whatever is genuinely going on. Having problems, is constantly used in a wrong term. Having a series of problems, doesn’t necessarily mean something is wrong with you, if anything, it represents a challenge.  The challenge is learning how to handle a series of problems instead of the problems themselves. It is important to learn what the best coping mechanism is. In this article I will be covering several different mechanisms you can use to cope with daily issues and sharing some of my favorite coping tools well.

Coping Strategies:

These activities were created to reduce anxiousness, stress, and emotional states.

Slow Breathing

The focus of slow breathing is the attempt to effectively reduce fast heart rate and induce air flow in the lungs.

Deep Abdominal Breathing

Deep abdominal breathing focuses on breathing from the diaphragm. This activity is used to infuse rich oxygen to the blood and allows breathing to then come more smoothly.

Imagery Breathing

Imagery breathing is used to induce air flow while having a prepared distraction off of whatever is generally increasing anxiety.

Muscle Tensing

Muscle tensing is when you squeeze parts of your body, like your hands or tightening your feet to then give you a mindset and attempts to “shake/push” off the anxiousness occurring.

I hope all five of these mechanisms will eventually come in handy, but it is important to remember that some coping skills work differently for some people. If you find that some of these don’t work, let me know in the comments so we can all help each other out for the better. My favorite skill to use deals with self-talk, which is designed to have a positive voice guide you throughout your obstacle.

For example, self-talk comes in handy when dealing with presenting in front of a class or being afraid to go to school.  Self-talk is when you personally tell yourself “you’ll be alright” and in all just finding something to say to yourself to help your situation. Many people have to go through a series of activities before dealing with self-talk, so it’s okay if it takes longer to develop the skill right away Things take time; have hope, you’ll be alright.