WMS recognizes the first sixth grade students of the month for 2017

Ms. Torrella

CONGRATS: Victoria Olsen and Xavier Molina receiving an award for student of the month.

WMS starts the year off by recognizing Victoria Olsen and Xavier Molina, who were announced as sixth grade students of the month during homeroom for January.

Molina and Olsen said that they were both in a state of “disbelief” when they heard their names on the loudspeaker. Molina commented, “I was in shock when I heard my name in homeroom. I would never expect that to happen.” While Olsen said that the experience for her was exciting.

When it came to their family’s reaction, Molina commented that his family was proud, but there was no celebration involved for his accomplishment, although there were hugs involved.

Now that the two have earned the title, Olsen said she will continue to live up to the title by “striving for good grades, studying, and frequently asking questions in class.” She added that her biggest inspiration is her mom.

When asked if they consider themselves as a role model to others, Olsen said, “I do consider myself a role model to others. Since I’m a girl, I like to show others that most girls can play sports when boys say they cannot. It’s very important to try hard.” While Molina said, “Not really. There are tons of excellent people out there who have the characteristics to be a role model.”

Olsen and Molina both agreed that to be student of the month, it doesn’t come down to intelligence. Olsen said it doesn’t matter if a student is intelligent or not, the “real” reason why student are picked for student of the month is that the characteristics a students has “supports” hard work and kindness towards others.