• December 21WMS Boys Basketball Plays AMS today at 4:00 in AMS
  • October 16WMS softball team plays Avenel in the playoff game today at WHS, 6:00!
  • October 11WMS softball team plays FMS today at 4:15 at Colonia middle!

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The Essence of Dreams

Giuliana Traschetti
Bella G dreaming about dragons.

Have you ever woken up from a powerful, emotional strange dream and wondered why something so odd could make you feel a certain way? Why do dreams have so much control over our emotions and how do they get made up of just our thoughts? How can we have meaningful reactions to dreams when some dreams aren’t meaningful at all. Nonetheless, why do dreams happen at all ?

Dreams are a significant message of what can happen in the future or of what has happened already . They supposedly help process emotions , though dreams do bring many new emotions. Ethically, dreams are electric brain pulses pulled from random thought and imagery from our past memories. 

REM sleep (rapid eye movement) is the stage in sleep where we have the most dreams. 

Another subject connected to dreams is Deja Vu. Deja Vu is claimed to be the feeling that makes you think you’ve seen something in the present that you have seen before . Deja Vu is connected to dreams often because most times people refer to Deja Vu from something they’ve dreamed about before that comes to life. Some people believe that Deja Vu stems from spiritual artifacts and others just believe that it’s coincidental. In a way, Deja Vu connects to the idea that dreams can inform you of illnesses you could maybe have in the future. Mr Maneri, a teacher at WMS stated that, “We live in a matrix and that deja vu is a glitch in it.” 

Lucid dreams are dreams that you know aren’t real but feel vividly real. In these dreams you can control what happens to you almost like a video game. Studies showed that lucid dreaming often occurs during moments of particularly high arousal or change in brain wave activity in the outer layer of the brain. Lucid dreams can actually be beneficial because it is said to be therapeutic. If you are having a Lucid dream and a nightmare at the same time, you can control what happens and lead you to escape from the uncomfortable feeling and prevent stress. Lucid dreams can also be an early predictor of cancer. 

Many people have stated they have recurring dreams, dreams that happen frequently.  Between 60-75% of Americans experience recurring dreams. Studies have shown that recurring dreams occur because you might be dealing with unresolved issues that are causing you stress.

Dreams are not just a movie in our heads, they are not just a play on our imaginations, dreams help us process our emotions. Emotions play a big role in dreams.  In the future, try and memorize your dreams,and jot down or record what happened. Then search to see what they mean, and watch how they may affect you later in life.