The WMS girl’s basketball team gets a new set of coaches

Ty Kobylakiewicz

Come support the new coaches and the team.

Ty Kobylakiewicz, Fall Editor

In desperate need of new coaches, WMS’ Mr. Maneri and Mrs. Kaschak stepped up to be the coaches of the 2018 – 2019 season. After coming off a unforgettable season last year, the girls, Maneri, and Kashack hope to reclaim the title.

WMS Softball and basketball coach, Mr. Maneri explained, “It’s going to be a challenge. I’ve grown up playing basketball, but I never coached it. I’m very lucky to have Mrs. Kashack by my side, she knows what to do and has been playing her whole life.” Maneri says he’s “thankful” for that because he couldn’t do it without her.

Since Maneri has been coaching softball for years, he thinks the games are going to move at a “faster pace” and just are quicker overall.

“Just watch the 8th graders, watch how they lead the team. They need to know because that’s what they’re going to be doing next year,” Maneri explained when questioned what advice he will give to the upcoming 7th graders.

Maneri says that his coaching philosophy will be the same as it always was. He wants the girls to be respectful and want other teams to say, “wow, they’re from WMS”. He says it’s all about being a student athlete, but of course, the student comes before athlete.

Maneri said,”The travel. Travel kills us the most. We get there around 4:00 and have to be out of there at a certain time. It’s very limited” when questioned why it’ll be a challenge without a gym.

On the other hand, 7th grade teacher, Mrs. Kaschak says, “I’ve coached in the past, but they’re also a brand new group of girls. And I’m excited, they’re a great group and I think we will do okay”, when questioned how it feels to coach the girls for the first time.

Coach Kaschak thinks that it’s going to be a bit “nerve racking” this season. After the girls coming off such a high win, she thinks every year is different and every team has a chance. Overall, she says they will be “ok”.

“I don’t think of them as 7th and 8th graders, I think of them as a team. Everybody has to keep working hard and continue to work hard and we’ll be fine if we do that,” explained Kaschak when asked what her advice was to the upcoming 7th graders.

Kaschak says she struggles with her coaching philosophy every year. She says everybody needs to have fun, but they also need to have an expectation with themselves. “We think of each other as a team, not as one individual,” Kaschak stated.

Tune in this year to see if the WMS girls can reclaim their title, and be crowned champions for two years in a row.