Middle School Band Day dazzles with amazing performances

Miss. Benkert

The whole band and all the teachers gather together for a picture before the concert.

On April 29, 2017, middle school bands gathered at Woodbridge High School to perform for the second annual Middle School Band Day, a special occasion for the students and teachers.

Miss. Benkert
Students were greeted by their school’s decorations at the front desk.

The event featured the bands from Fords, Avenel, Colonia, and Woodbridge, which are lead by Mrs. Boulton, Mr. Leidner, Mr. Willenbrock, and Miss. Benkert. In addition to the many teachers, guest clinician Mr. Santoro was invited to conduct a final piece with all the students.

Mr. Santoro has been in the music industry for 37 years as a music teacher and arts administrator. When he was asked to join Middle School Band Day he felt “honored”, especially since he loves working with students at any level. “When conductors are asked to come in for a one-day experience, we are never sure what to expect. As I went from room to room during the sectionals, I was really impressed to hear that the students were extremely well prepared,” Mr. Santoro described meeting the students.

Miss. Benkert
Mr. Santoro conducts the band with style!

The band teachers of Woodbridge enjoyed the “togetherness” and “collaboration” of middle school band day. Miss. Benkert liked how they could get kids from different middle schools to play together, and Mr. Leidner liked the cool pieces performed by the other schools. Mrs. Boulton felt the day was fun, while Mr. Willenbrock enjoyed the pizza.

Throughout the day, the students went to instrumental groups called sectionals, where they practiced each of their individual parts. After sectionals gathered together to practice their final piece. They then ate lunch, and went to practice and perform in the auditorium of Woodbridge High School. Avenel played Highlights From Harry Potter, Colonia played Seven Nation Army, Fords played Arabian Dances, Woodbridge played Quintus, and everyone played Summit Fanfare.  

With hard work and practice, our middle school bands were able to get together to perform a great concert.