WMS’ winter concert snows with success

The tone chimes players let their inner talents shine

The winter concert was hosted by Ms. Benkert, Mrs.Ten Brock, and Mr.Wilson on December 12, 2016 in the auditorium. The band, choir, and strings from 6th, 7th, and 8th grades all performed.

Ms.Benkert ,the band teacher, was inspired to become the band teacher she is today by her “middle school band teacher”. She is inspired today by the “students when they work hard and make progress.” Her favorite part of being a band teacher is “getting to teach what she loves every day.” She was looking forward to all of the pieces she picked and is always telling her students,”practice makes progress, not perfect” and is looking forwards to all the years to come. After the concert had passed, she felt “relieved and proud. It’s a lot of work, but”everyone did a good job.”

Eighth grader, Kamil Lemdani, the president of the 7th and 8th grade band, had felt “really good” when he was chosen for president. He joined band because his brother was a member of band and his parents had encouraged him to join and now he is currently playing the saxophone.

Mrs.Ten Broeck, the chorus and music teacher, says she got her inspiration from her love of music and being able to perform.. She also loves the students she teaches and how they work hard. This year she enjoyed the choir a lot. She is adding tone chimes and solos to the performance,  and she says she feels, “for the particular song [she] wanted to showcase some students voices.” She thinks the concert did “well” and is very “happy everyone did the best job they could.”

Full chorus of sixth, seventh, and eighth grade singing .

Seventh grader Isabella Rosano had been selected to sing a solo during a song of the winter concert. She was “very happy” when she was chosen.  Her favorite parts of the whole concert were “the songs we sang and, specifically, ‘Let it Snow’ in band.” She is in both band and chorus and would like to continue in the future. She says she wants to be a music teacher.  

Mr.Wilson who is the strings teacher was inspired to to teach music by his mother. He is inspired by ”not any one thing, but all the things around [him], people, nature, his students.” Mr. Wilson and his students have worked very hard for this concert, he has “changed the combination of how they’re using the instruments.”  He also said the winter concert “was great, I loved it and was very pleased.  The audience was great.”

Mr.Wilson introduces the strings for seventh and eighth grade.

Jason Merchant, a seventh grader, had been playing the guitar for one year. He was excited to “show what I had learned, and that I know what i’m doing.” He of course said he “will continue playing the guitar in the future it is exciting.”

Miss. Benkert held a series of sales during the winter concert such as candy grams, band bracelets, and t-shirts to “help raise money for the band trip in May to Six Flags.” The fundraisers were very successful and the candy grams were a big success. In total there was about over two hundred dollars raised.