Ms. Moorjani’s mathematical approach to fundraising.

Ms.Moorjani’s students are counting the money they collected.

Ms.Moorjani,  6th grade math teacher, and her sixty-four students started a fundraiser for disadvantaged children.

Ms. Moorjani started the idea of this fundraiser in high school. Her father said to her “never let go, but to give out to needy people with your own pocket money.” Every time she saw someone that was disadvantaged Moorjani developed a habit of helping. Ever since then, she has taken a portion of her income and donated it to India’s temples and doctors.

Moorjani wanted to give every student  a special recognition and a lesson about empathy. In the fundraiser every penny counts. Her last years class ended with a total of $55.35 and Moorjani donated another $55.35, making a grand total of  $110.70.

Moorjani said, “I did not force children to give any money, and the children were not allowed to give more than five dollars From one cent to five-hundred cents, this fundraiser hopefully taught the children the value of money.”

Ms. Moorjani became inspired to do this fundraiser because she saw children wasting or throwing away their food at lunch and she thought about how so much money was being wasted.  She figured that the children didn’t care “because it wasn’t their money.”

During this fundraiser, a boy came in with a card,  inside the card was ten dollars it was given by the mother on the behalf of Moorjani, and $5 for the fundraiser. Moorjani gave in $10 for the fundraiser and thanked the mother.

After interviewing Kaitlyn Chepel and Roselyn Ortiz, a student perspective about the fundraiser. Kaitlyn Chepel said “Helping someone else live makes us feel lucky, some people don’t have warm food and it really opened our eyes about the world around us.” Ortiz said “this taught us to give and we feel better.”

This year her block 1 class ended with $33.70. Her block 2 class ended with $16.63. And her block 3 ended with $43.42. The grand total including Moorjani’s Donation was $188.06.