WMS sings Mrs. TenBroeck’s praises

Mrs.+TenBroeck+at+her+last+concert+

Saumya Choksi

Mrs. TenBroeck at her last concert

Miloni Choksi, Spring Editor

Music and choir teacher Mrs.TenBroeck is retiring after working at WMS for 17 years. In her childhood she was a good student and she said she always “ excelled” in language arts and and history, but math was never her “thing.” Music was always her passion. She had interest in teaching elementary, but ending up with a middle school position and loved it. One thing many people don’t know is that she is certified to teach speech and theater arts.

At WMS, she teaches the music class, the select choir and the regular choir. She said the most challenging thing about her job is introducing new music to students, “You never know if they will take interest in it”, she said. After 17 years she is ready to retire.

Mrs.TenBroeck said,“I just want to take life day-by-day now.” She plans to start practicing instruments again. There’s both, “Pros and cons” to retiring, she said. A pro would be not having to go out in the rain and a con would be that she can’t make music with talented young people anymore. She is also thinking about spending more time to read books, specifically, mystery and she said she“ loves” anything to do with history. Listening to music would be another favorite activity. Her favorites are classical music,like Bach and Mozart. She does not like Pop, but likes Pink Floyd and The Grateful Dead.

When asked if she will miss WMS she said,“Yes I will definitely miss working in such a wonderful place. WMS has always had talented students who are eager to make music, whether it is vocal or instrumental.” She also mentioned that WMS has been a part of her life for a long time, which makes it hard to leave.  However, she also looks forward to spending more time with herself and spending time with her grand kids.

Here’s what some of her students have to say:

“Mrs.TenBroeck is always there for her students and she never lets them down, she has made my middle school years truly special.”- Julia Chepel

“To the fire that burns the brightest star, the star that is the lightest. Thank you Mrs.TenBroeck for being both.”- Anonymous student

“She not only grew to be one of my favorite teachers, but an immense inspiration to me and others. Choir is like a second family to me. Everyone gets along and we are all welcoming.” – Chris Torres

“Mrs.TenBroeck made chorus a place where we can be ourselves, it was never a class, but a family.”- Norah Pereira

“ She never gives up on people, always believes in everyone and sees full potential in everyone”- Courtney Casanova

“ I was not in choir, but Mrs.TenBroeck treated me like she’s known me forever.”- Bridget Wall

“One thing she taught me was to be more brave and to use my voice.”- Zaul Luciano

“I had so much fun in her class and I wish I could stay and never leave.”- Emily Carlson

“She has made me have a new love and appreciation for music and the arts and has made me want to excel in music. I aspire to be a singer like her.’’- Andrea Rodriguez

“ She taught me the beauty of music and to value it.”- Sayuri Hadge

WMS will miss this amazing teacher and wishes the best for the future