The concert with a sentimental twist

The+select+choir+singing+their+last+piece+
The select choir singing their last piece

Saumya Choksi

Saumya Choksi

Miloni Choksi, Spring Editor

WMS strings and choir had a dazzling concert with a special surprise for the three retiring teachers at the end at the end.

Mrs.TenBroeck and Mr.Wilson had their last concert on April 6th. It was their last full year of teaching. The strings did a total of seven pieces and the choir sang eight  pieces. WMS has a select choir and regular full choir. The option of select choir is only open to 7th and eighth grade. Strings is open to all grades with a variety of instruments to play.

Mrs.VanKleef assisted the choir in playing piano. She was not not required to do so, but she volunteered to help out. She said, ¨ I love playing piano and I’m a trained pianist so I thought why not lend a helping hand.¨She reads in her spare time and cherishes spending time with her two pets.  Her favorite part of her job is seeing how the students change and improve since their middle school years. Ms. VanKleef worked a total of 26 years at WMS.

Saumya Choksi
Mrs. VanKeef enjoying playing the piano

The music teacher, Mrs.TenBroeck, has been working at WMS for a total of seventeen years. This is her last year. She said, “I’ll miss this school and teaching dearly.” She became a music teacher because it’s her “passion” and she “loves” what she does. Mrs.TenBroeck went on to say,  “I loved all my music teachers, I loved music, it was the right fit for me. I never once regretted becoming a music teacher. It was one of the best decisions I ever made!” In her free time she likes to read and is also a church organist and choir director.

Saumya Choksi
Mrs. TenBroeck looking at her students as they prepare to perform the next piece

Chris Torres is a student at WMS who is in select chorus. He said,  I am dearly sad she is leaving. She honestly grew, not only to be one of my favorite teachers, but became an immense inspiration to myself and others.” Chris said she taught him to ¨embrace “ his talents and to believe in himself.

Mr. Wilson has been working at  WMS for a long fourteen years. When asked what inspires him every day he responded by saying , ¨My main inspiration still comes from the students themselves.¨ Outside of work, Mr. Willson likes to go fishing, kayaking and also likes nature photography. Mr. Wilson is going to stay a little bit for the 2017 -2018 school year, but this is his last full year. He said,¨ I certainly have mixed feelings about leaving because I enjoy all the talented and inspiring students I get to work with every day.¨

Saumya Choksi
Mr. Wilson speaking about the song selections

Saumya Choksi
The seventh and eighth grade strings

At the end of the concert the students had a surprise for the retiring teachers. A select number of them sang “Photograph” by Ed Sheeran, while Noah Monsanto played guitar. This group was led by Norah Perreira who is involved in both strings and choir. She said, ¨We dedicated a song to the both of them to show that they mean a lot to us and this was also our way of saying goodbye.¨ The group ended leaving all three of  the teachers                     ¨ speechless ¨ as many students claim.
WMS will dearly miss these inspirational teachers.