WMS spelling bee champions seek to sting the competition

Acelyn Goris

THE SPELLING STINGERS: This is the final rounds of the school spelling bee

The Woodbridge Middle School spelling bee finalists competed in the auditorium of WMS on February 27th during second block. Some of them didn’t win, but at least they didn’t get stung.

Mrs.Nemeth is in charge of the event and explains that each school is required to have a spelling bee. She commented on the importance of the event, “It is one more fun thing to get the school united.”

Mrs.Nemeth explained how she set up the spelling bee. Each language arts teacher had a class spelling bee and the two winners from each class would compete on a whole-school-level. Then, the winners there would compete at the district level spelling bee.

This year’s spelling bee was nerve-racking for some students, but others knew how to handle those nerves. For example, Sabrina Szalontai explained that she got over her nerves by remaining confident and taking “deep breaths.”

Also, some students work and practice diligently to win. For example, Kamil Lemdani explained how he reads a lot of books and practices listening to words then spells them. Sabrina Szalontai says she uses the website spellingcity.com to practice spelling words. Most of the students that won practice their craft and focus on what they need to accomplish. Also, a common theme amongst the winners is that they are extremely competitive. Lemdani said “my gameplan for the big spelling bee is winning.”

But some of the competitors didn’t just care about themselves, they cared for other competitors as well. Janese Lewis said her favorite part of competing was “watching other kids pass”.

Make sure to support WMS students while they compete and see how their hard work pays off. The spelling bee is set to take place on May 9th at Woodbridge High School. The event is sponsored by the Woodbridge Rotary.  
Good luck to the students who will be competing from WMS: Joe Ozeranksy, Noah Gibb, Leah Kripaitis, Ka’Mayah Salazar, Janese Lewis, Kya Dessources, Jake Vasquez, Sabrina Szalontai, Kamil Lemdani, Ayannah Hampton, Jason Perach, and Nick Karabinos.