The Unrealistic Portrayal of Ivy League Universities

Photo via File:Ivy League map.svg - Wikimedia Commons under the Creative Common License

Photo via File:Ivy League map.svg – Wikimedia Commons under the Creative Common License

Gabriella Tortoriello, Editor

We all have most likely seen a television series or movie where the main character is accepted into an Ivy League university. Were they actually deserving?

Although it’s just fiction, and shouldn’t be taken too seriously, what effect can this have on children? 

When I was younger I dreamed of being like Elle Woods, and attending Harvard Law. I thought I could easily get into Harvard, because all my favorite characters were. 

How difficult it is to get into prestigious universities 

Being accepted into elite universities requires dedication to school, but you need to have more than excellent grades. Sufficient test scores, participation in extracurricular activities, letters of recommendation, and a well written personal essay are requirements for applying. 

Ivy League universities are searching for students who will change the world and challenge themselves. Students have to have passion, creativity, leadership, curiosity, and something special that makes them, them. 

Characters who wouldn’t have gotten into the schools they attended

Photo Rory Gilmore | superfurrylibrarian.files.wordpress.com/2012/… | Flickr under the Creative Commons License

Rory Gilmore, Gilmore Girls – Harvard, Princeton, Yale

Compared to her frenemy, Paris Geller, Rory did not have what it takes. Paris devoted her life to school by participating in multiple activities, attending Chilton for years, and becoming the editor of The Franklin. One of Paris’ best qualities is being able to bounce back from her failures and handling criticism respectfully, which is something Rory couldn’t do. 

Rory got accepted into Harvard University, Princeton University, and Yale University. Rory was definitely a hard worker. However, she had a late start at Chilton, and her only extracurricular activity was writing for The Franklin. Rory’s love for Harvard merchandise wouldn’t have gotten her far. 

Rory being accepted into Harvard, while Paris was rejected was a key factor of unrealisticness. Along with Paris’ participation and good qualities is her last name. Ten generations of Gellers have gone to Harvard. Her family’s connections alone could have gotten Paris accepted into Harvard. 

Photo via File:Blair-waldorf color coat.jpg – Wikimedia Commons under the Creative Commons License

Blair Waldorf, Gossip Girl – NYU and Columbia

Blair is an intelligent, determined, and manipulative character. Her goal since she was little was to attend Yale like her father. Yet, she doesn’t get accepted to Yale. Blair does get accepted into New York University, and later Columbia. However her schemes, scandals, and suspensions would have prevented her from being accepted into any prestigious schools. 

Photo via gossip-girl-and-serena-van-der-woodsen-gallery | atomtetsuwan2002 | Flickr under the Creative Commons License

Serena van der Woodsen, Gossip Girl – Brown, Columbia, Yale

Serena is an icon for being able to get into Brown, Columbia, and Yale with her past of skipping classes, barely studying, and leaving Constance Billard for her sophomore year. Her charm, personality, confidence, and last name is what achieves her accomplishments. She is given opportunities easily, especially because she is the main character. 

Photo via File:Zac Efron 2007 (cropped).jpg – Wikimedia Commons Visit under the Creative Commons License

Troy Bolton, High School Musical – Juilliard 

Troy definitely enjoyed performing, but he was so late to the game. His only credit was one school play. In reality that would get him nowhere near being accepted into Julliard. In the end he chooses not to attend Juilliard, but go to UC Berkeley to continue playing basketball. 

Why do characters always go to Ivy League universities? 

Characters attend Ivy League schools because they have well known names. Of course Ivy League universities have great education and courses, but no one is watching because of that. 

Characters don’t even have to go to real schools either. Characters in shows like; The Vampire Diaries, Glee, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, etc attend fictional universities. 

Downsides of Ivy League

If you set your mind to something and work hard for it you can achieve it. It isn’t a common occurrence to be accepted into an Ivy League school, but it’s possible. However, there are other good schools that also have Ivy League programs.

My sister attends Kean University, where she studies art education. Her program is a Columia program, and her professor is a graduate from Columbia. She gets a great education in something she loves, and also has a lower tuition. 

Going to an Ivy League school isn’t a necessity to have a successful life or career. There are various options to have a successful and happy life, even if you are a fictional character.