WMS celebrates Women’s History Month

Gabby Tortoriello

WONDER WOMEN: 7th grader, Ciara, stands proudly by WMS’s Women’s History Month poster.

Gabby Tortoriello, Editor

It’s March, and WMS is celebrating Women’s History Month. Vice Principal, Mr. Harris, history teacher, Mrs. Liastro, and 7th-grade student, Sasha Mendonca, share their thoughts on Women’s History, and women’s future. 

Women’s History Month started as only a week in March 1978. Later on in 1987, after years of the National Women’s History Project petitioning, the week became a month. The month celebrates the achievements of women and how far they have come. Since 1995, every president has declared the designation of March as “Women’s History Month.” 

Mr. Harris, Vice Principal, explained how he thinks women’s equality has changed America for the better, he said, “Well number one, because of the contribution women have contributed to America. That’s the main reason why it changed America for the better. And not only men have contributed, but women have contributed just as much.”  

Women’s History is important to highlight for many reasons, including, appreciating everything women have done for the country and world. 

Sasha Mendonca, a 7th grader, says, “I think it is so important to highlight because it is important to remember important women in the past to help change the future.”

Mr. Harris, explained how WMS advocates for women’s history by saying, “Well, we advocate our school’s support by putting up different posters throughout the school of contributions women have [made]. When we do announcements in the morning, and also in classes and social studies classes.”

Mrs. Liastro, history teacher, believes teachers have an important job in highlighting women’s history month. She thinks it is important for teachers to “give students the chance to explore Women’s history on their own.”

Women still face inequality, lack of respect, sexism, and misogyny. Mrs. Liastro, believes there are some people who think women can’t do as well as men. She said, “Women feel a lot of pressure to be perfect, a mom or employee, and try to take on the world. You know they take on too much. I think being a working mom is really hard.” 

Everyone has a woman who inspires them, it can be a mom, sister, grandmother, aunt, cousin, and even a celebrity. Sasha Mendonca’s aunt is her inspiration, “I’d have to go with my aunt, she pushes me to get better grades and to reach higher.” 

Mr. Harris said he is inspired by Maya Angelou and “of course, [he] would say [his] mother or grandmother.” 

Mrs. Liastro said that her inspiration is her mom, “My mom, my mom was an educator and she is the reason for me being a teacher, I try to be the woman she was.”